Tried finding out what this symbol means, but to no avail did not find it. Help

In summary, The symbol Å stands for angstrom, a unit of measurement equal to 10^-10 meters. It is commonly used in physics and chemistry to measure atomic distances. The letter itself is not an A with a circle on top, but a separate letter in the Swedish alphabet, pronounced as "aw."
Jin 06
Hi,

Recently I've started an experiment called Quantum Wells, I was reading the lab script and came across a familiar looking symbol but could not put my finger on to what it means.

The symbol in question is: Å (an upper-case "A" with a hollow dot [circle] just above of it)

Here's the context: "CdS/ZnS as a function of well width from 3 Å to 60 Å (Ev = 0)"

My question is what does this Å symbol mean? (Natural unit, definition, SI unit...etc)

Thank you in advance. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
That is 1 Angström. One Angström is 0.1 nm.

Cthugha said:
That is 1 Angström.

More precisely, 1 Ångström. :smile:

For the benefit of the original poster, Ångström was a Swedish physicist, and the "A with a ring" is a feature of the Swedish, Danish and Norwegian languages.

I thought it was the 7th chevron for dialing Earth!

LURCH said:
I thought it was the 7th chevron for dialing Earth!
I think the symbol you're thinking of looks like a lambda with a circle on top, not like an Å, which by the way isn't really an A with a circle on top. It's a different letter, the one that comes after Z in the Swedish alphabet. Swedes pronounce it roughly the same way the British pronounce "aw" (as in "awful").

Last edited:
Jin 06 said:
Hi,

Recently I've started an experiment called Quantum Wells, I was reading the lab script and came across a familiar looking symbol but could not put my finger on to what it means.

The symbol in question is: Å (an upper-case "A" with a hollow dot [circle] just above of it)

Here's the context: "CdS/ZnS as a function of well width from 3 Å to 60 Å (Ev = 0)"

My question is what does this Å symbol mean? (Natural unit, definition, SI unit...etc)

Thank you in advance. :smile:
It's angstrom i.e 10^-10 m.

Call it a coincident but during yesterday's lab work I forgot to but that "dot" over A which then my professor pointed out to me .

1. What does the symbol mean?

The meaning of a symbol can vary depending on context and cultural significance. Without any additional information about the symbol, it is difficult to determine its specific meaning.

2. Where did the symbol originate from?

The origin of a symbol can also be difficult to determine without more context. Symbols can have multiple origins and can evolve over time.

3. How can I find the meaning of a symbol?

One way to find the meaning of a symbol is to research its cultural or historical significance. You can also try reaching out to experts or conducting further research to gather more information.

4. Are there any online resources that can help me identify the symbol?

Yes, there are several online resources, such as symbol dictionaries and cultural databases, that can help you identify and understand the meaning of a symbol.

5. Can symbols have different meanings in different cultures?

Yes, symbols can have different meanings in different cultures. It is important to consider the cultural context when trying to understand the meaning of a symbol.