Tried finding out what this symbol means, but to no avail did not find it. Help!

by Jin 06
Tags: band gap, quantum, quantum wells, square well, well width
Jin 06
Feb15-12, 10:34 AM
P: 1
Hi,

Recently I've started an experiment called Quantum Wells, I was reading the lab script and came across a familiar looking symbol but could not put my finger on to what it means.

The symbol in question is: Å (an upper-case "A" with a hollow dot [circle] just above of it)

Here's the context: "CdS/ZnS as a function of well width from 3 Å to 60 Å (Ev = 0)"

My question is what does this Å symbol mean? (Natural unit, definition, SI unit...etc)

Thank you in advance.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
Cthugha
Feb15-12, 10:42 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,563
That is 1 Angström. One Angström is 0.1 nm.
jtbell
Feb15-12, 11:07 AM
Mentor
P: 11,231
Quote Quote by Cthugha View Post
That is 1 Angström.
More precisely, 1 Ångström.

For the benefit of the original poster, Ångström was a Swedish physicist, and the "A with a ring" is a feature of the Swedish, Danish and Norwegian languages.

LURCH
Feb15-12, 12:40 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,507

Tried finding out what this symbol means, but to no avail did not find it. Help!

I thought it was the 7th chevron for dialing Earth!
Fredrik
Feb15-12, 12:55 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 8,992
Quote Quote by LURCH View Post
I thought it was the 7th chevron for dialing Earth!
I think the symbol you're thinking of looks like a lambda with a circle on top, not like an Å, which by the way isn't really an A with a circle on top. It's a different letter, the one that comes after Z in the Swedish alphabet. Swedes pronounce it roughly the same way the British pronounce "aw" (as in "awful").
ibysaiyan
Feb15-12, 01:07 PM
P: 437
Quote Quote by Jin 06 View Post
Hi,

Recently I've started an experiment called Quantum Wells, I was reading the lab script and came across a familiar looking symbol but could not put my finger on to what it means.

The symbol in question is: Å (an upper-case "A" with a hollow dot [circle] just above of it)

Here's the context: "CdS/ZnS as a function of well width from 3 Å to 60 Å (Ev = 0)"

My question is what does this Å symbol mean? (Natural unit, definition, SI unit...etc)

Thank you in advance.
It's angstrom i.e 10^-10 m.

Call it a coincident but during yesterday's lab work I forgot to but that "dot" over A which then my professor pointed out to me .

Register to reply