Register to reply

Tried finding out what this symbol means, but to no avail did not find it. Help!

Share this thread:
Jin 06
Feb15-12, 10:34 AM
P: 1
Hi,

Recently I've started an experiment called Quantum Wells, I was reading the lab script and came across a familiar looking symbol but could not put my finger on to what it means.

The symbol in question is: Å (an upper-case "A" with a hollow dot [circle] just above of it)

Here's the context: "CdS/ZnS as a function of well width from 3 Å to 60 Å (Ev = 0)"

My question is what does this Å symbol mean? (Natural unit, definition, SI unit...etc)

Thank you in advance.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
Cthugha
Feb15-12, 10:42 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,657
That is 1 Angström. One Angström is 0.1 nm.
jtbell
Feb15-12, 11:07 AM
Mentor
P: 11,782
Quote Quote by Cthugha View Post
That is 1 Angström.
More precisely, 1 Ångström.

For the benefit of the original poster, Ångström was a Swedish physicist, and the "A with a ring" is a feature of the Swedish, Danish and Norwegian languages.

LURCH
Feb15-12, 12:40 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,510
Tried finding out what this symbol means, but to no avail did not find it. Help!

I thought it was the 7th chevron for dialing Earth!
Fredrik
Feb15-12, 12:55 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,415
Quote Quote by LURCH View Post
I thought it was the 7th chevron for dialing Earth!
I think the symbol you're thinking of looks like a lambda with a circle on top, not like an Å, which by the way isn't really an A with a circle on top. It's a different letter, the one that comes after Z in the Swedish alphabet. Swedes pronounce it roughly the same way the British pronounce "aw" (as in "awful").
ibysaiyan
Feb15-12, 01:07 PM
P: 442
Quote Quote by Jin 06 View Post
Hi,

Recently I've started an experiment called Quantum Wells, I was reading the lab script and came across a familiar looking symbol but could not put my finger on to what it means.

The symbol in question is: Å (an upper-case "A" with a hollow dot [circle] just above of it)

Here's the context: "CdS/ZnS as a function of well width from 3 Å to 60 Å (Ev = 0)"

My question is what does this Å symbol mean? (Natural unit, definition, SI unit...etc)

Thank you in advance.
It's angstrom i.e 10^-10 m.

Call it a coincident but during yesterday's lab work I forgot to but that "dot" over A which then my professor pointed out to me .

Register to reply