Spiked Math: MFT - Trivial fun

by Greg Bernhardt
Tags: None
Greg Bernhardt
Feb15-12, 03:49 PM
Admin
P: 8,534
Today's fact isn't really a fact, but more of a story! Math is aimed at an elementary school level.

More...
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
Deveno
Feb15-12, 04:12 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 906
Quote Quote by Greg Bernhardt View Post
Today's fact isn't really a fact, but more of a story! Math is aimed at an elementary school level.

More...
lol, so they rigged it by tightly controlling the availability of pieces of the form 3k+2, and 3k+1 (one hopes that, in the interest of fairness, more pieces having 3k+1 numbers were available than 3k+2 pieces).

this reminds me of those macdonald's monopoly contests, where one of a trio of monopoly properties is MUCH rarer than the other two. such schemes serve to take advantage of people's expectations of winning to stimulate sales, and strike me as borderline fraudulent (although there's not any consumer cost involved in these promotions, so they are more than likely not actionable).
Greg Bernhardt
Feb16-12, 02:31 PM
Admin
P: 8,534
So many retail stores are doing scratch offs. It's such a joke! I don't even bother.

Moonbear
Feb20-12, 07:27 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,257

Spiked Math: MFT - Trivial fun

It's just another loyalty gimmick. If they're free, I'd collect them just in case I got one of the winners, but I wouldn't count on it or spend extra to get them. I haven't seen anything like that in my stores though. Mine seem to think it's enough to offer three cents off per gallon of gas. A regular fill up for me is about 8 gallons (I don't like getting too close to empty). My savings don't even add up to a whole quarter.

Register to reply