Register to reply

Continuous functions

by Flying_Goat
Tags: continuous, functions
Share this thread:
Flying_Goat
Feb17-12, 09:03 AM
P: 16
A function defined on ℝ is continuous at x if given ε, there is a δ such that |f(x)-f(y)|<ε whenever |x-y|<δ. Does this imply that f(x+δ)-f(x)=ε? The definition only deals with open intervals so i am not sure about this. If this is not true could someone please show me a counter example for it?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Flapping baby birds give clues to origin of flight
Prions can trigger 'stuck' wine fermentations, researchers find
Socially-assistive robots help kids with autism learn by providing personalized prompts
alan2
Feb17-12, 09:44 AM
P: 206
No. You have to learn to think differently. Draw a lot of pictures and think about limiting processes, not equalities. A real function is continuous at x if I can draw a rectangular box around the point (x, f(x)), shrink the box arbitrarily small, and the function remains in the box. Consider f(x)=1 for all x. It is continuous everywhere, but for any epsilon>0 there is no delta which satisfies your statement. In fact, f(y)-f(x)=0 for all x,y, yet for any epsilon, no matter how small, I can choose delta arbitrarily large.
Bacle2
Feb17-12, 05:02 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,170
Quote Quote by Flying_Goat View Post
A function defined on ℝ is continuous at x if given ε, there is a δ such that |f(x)-f(y)|<ε whenever |x-y|<δ. Does this imply that f(x+δ)-f(x)=ε? The definition only deals with open intervals so i am not sure about this. If this is not true could someone please show me a counter example for it?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Another approach is :

The description can also be interpreted as saying that one can find, for any ε>0, a value of δ>0 every point x in the interval:

(y-δ,y+δ) on the x-axis

Is mapped into the interval (f(y)-ε,f(y)+ε )

on the y-axis.

Try playing with relatively-simple functions like x2, and see what happens with
the expression f(x+δ)-f(x), for different values of δ, and how you can choose δ to make the difference be within ε.

Flying_Goat
Feb17-12, 07:42 PM
P: 16
Continuous functions

Thanks for your replies. I understand now.

Register to reply