Register to reply

Why is the HP 15C so expensive?

by hatelove
Tags: expensive
Share this thread:
hatelove
Feb17-12, 12:07 PM
P: 48
So I've been shopping around for calculators for the past week or so and I stumbled upon this gem...I'm looking at its features and specifications and there's nothing on the surface that stands out to impress me. Compared to another model such as the 35s, why is this thing like $150?

I'm also considering the Nspire CX CAS but I'm not sure if this graphing calculator will be better than using a scientific calculator for everyday use (not just for school, but for research as well as work in engineering/physics/high-level mathematics).
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Bees able to spot which flowers offer best rewards before landing
Classic Lewis Carroll character inspires new ecological model
When cooperation counts: Researchers find sperm benefit from grouping together in mice
Greg Bernhardt
Feb17-12, 12:15 PM
Admin
P: 9,334
The 12c looks almost identical and only $60
http://www.amazon.com/HP-HP12C-12C-F...9502408&sr=8-1

This site has the 15c for $97, but I don't know how good the company is
http://www.neobits.com/hewlett_packa...3.html?atc=gbs
jtbell
Feb17-12, 12:20 PM
Mentor
P: 11,626
More like $190 on amazon.com. Apparently this "Limited Edition" reissue was $99 when it first appeared last year. I think its basic appeal is to long-time HP fans who have used similar models for years (I have a 25-year-old 11C that I still use almost daily at home) and are looking for a new one, and to collectors.

If I had seen it when it was $99, I would have been tempted, myself.

turbo
Feb17-12, 12:21 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Why is the HP 15C so expensive?

The HP 15C is less than $100, and it was THE killer scientific calculator for engineers and chemists back in the '80s. Fits in a shirt pocket and does everything its larger predecessors did. I'm tempted to order one.
jtbell
Feb17-12, 12:22 PM
Mentor
Quote Quote by Greg Bernhardt View Post
The 12c looks almost identical and only $60
http://www.amazon.com/HP-HP12C-12C-F...9502408&sr=8-1
The 12C is specialized for financial calculations. Instead of trig functions, it has specialized financial functions.
turbo
Feb17-12, 12:24 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by jtbell View Post
The 12C is specialized for financial calculations. Instead of trig functions, it has specialized financial functions.
Yep! Still a favorite with loan officers and real-estate agents that want to be able to crunch numbers on the fly.
hatelove
Feb17-12, 12:29 PM
So is the price reflected mostly due to its nostalgia as opposed to its performance? Meaning if I care more about its function and purpose rather than owning a piece of history, would this purchase not be worth it?
turbo
Feb17-12, 12:33 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by hatelove View Post
So is the price reflected mostly due to its nostalgia as opposed to its performance? Meaning if I care more about its function and purpose rather than owning a piece of history, would this purchase not be worth it?
It's not just all nostalgia. It is a compact calculator that could do more than 99% of its competition at the time. It might not be the best calculator for you, but it is still shirt-pocket sized with all of the functions of the original (more than most people need!) and a lot more speed. I'm still temped to buy one, even if I only use it to balance my checkbook and make an occasional ballistics calculation.
hatelove
Feb17-12, 12:38 PM
Quote Quote by turbo View Post
It's not just all nostalgia. It is a compact calculator that could do more than 99% of its competition at the time. It might not be the best calculator for you, but it is still shirt-pocket sized with all of the functions of the original (more than most people need!) and a lot more speed. I'm still temped to buy one, even if I only use it to balance my checkbook and make an occasional ballistics calculation.
So my main concern is, is it still competitive with today's modern technology? Or are there "better" calculators out there (similar size to the 15C with all of its functions, maybe more and faster)
turbo
Feb17-12, 12:47 PM
PF Gold
So my main concern is, is it still competitive with today's modern technology? Or are there "better" calculators out there (similar size to the 15C with all of its functions, maybe more and faster)
You'll have to rely on younger members for this. The 15C is an impressive (and tiny) scientific calculator. Do you need to have a graphing calculator with a large screen everywhere you go? Would it be nice to have a shirt-pocket-sized calculator with advanced trig functions that you could tote everywhere? How often would you you use it? If that calculator is going to last you a few years and end up costing you pennies a day in return for its convenience, that is not a bad thing.
Greg Bernhardt
Feb17-12, 12:55 PM
Admin
P: 9,334
Quote Quote by jtbell View Post
well hmmm you'd think that one would cost more then!
turbo
Feb17-12, 12:58 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Greg Bernhardt View Post
well hmmm you'd think that one would cost more then!
HP sells a lot more of them! There are a lot more loan-officers and real-estate agents in the US than engineers. That model has been production for close to 30 years IIR, and still selling well.

Edit: Compound interest and amortization calculations do not change over time. The 12C is a classic in home-finance.
jtbell
Feb17-12, 01:40 PM
Mentor
For that size, I don't think you'll find anything more advanced. The next step up would be a graphing calculator like the TI-89 or the HP 50g.

The 50g is less than $120 on amazon.com right now. But you need a pretty big shirt pocket to put it in, unless you don't mind having half of it stick out, and probably fall out when you bend over.
hatelove
Feb17-12, 02:50 PM
Well, I just spoke to a retailer concerning the stock of this and they told me that HP suddenly within the past few weeks became very exclusive to who they distributed the 15c to, so I placed an order with them for $105 because I didn't want to lose out on the opportunity since I'm not sure what the limited supply for this thing is and I don't want to miss out on a good calculator.
hatelove
Feb20-12, 12:38 PM
Update: The ETA on the delivery is scheduled for some time in mid-April. LOL
vociferous
Mar8-12, 10:40 AM
P: 256
HP basically made the market for calculators (the ones that replaced slide-rules) and old-school scientists and engineers grew up on them. If you were born after 1980, you were more likely to have been using a TI in school, so the nostalgia might not be there for you.

Is the 15C really worth $100-200? I doubt it. For $50 you can get the 35s, which as far as I can tell is superior in every way other than size (disclaimer, I bought it for one class and have barely used it). For $100, you can get an HP 50g or a TI-89, both of which are basically mathematical mini-computers and terribly more advanced.

From where I stand, I think the point on portability is moot. If you just want a small, powerful calculator that will last a long time on watch batteries, HP already makes several that are far cheaper (and have RPN mode, if that is your thing). If you want a calculator that fits in your pocket, virtually everyone carries a smart phone these days and you can buy a calculator app from HP.

The only valid reasons I see for buying this are:

1) Nostalgia / collecting.
2) You used to own one, are familiar with it, and do not want to waste time learning something new.

Both these reasons seem perfectly valid to me.
hatelove
Mar13-12, 08:30 PM
Quote Quote by vociferous View Post
From where I stand, I think the point on portability is moot. If you just want a small, powerful calculator that will last a long time on watch batteries, HP already makes several that are far cheaper (and have RPN mode, if that is your thing). If you want a calculator that fits in your pocket, virtually everyone carries a smart phone these days and you can buy a calculator app from HP.
What if I want both?

I haven't seen any Android/iPhone calculator apps that can match the functionality of an advanced scientific calculator and are significantly cheaper than one. I've used some clones before, but they're incredibly buggy.

As far as functional density+longevity goes, I don't see anything better than the 15C (fits in your pocket, don't need to recharge every day (my iPhone4S doesn't even last 12 hours with my volume of usage).

If the 35s was about an inch smaller, it would be probably be the best, but it's still an inch too big for my tastes.
turbo
Mar13-12, 09:12 PM
PF Gold
If I could get a 15C for $100, I'd probably jump on it. Nice solid machine in a compact package.

Register to reply