Nobel from Papers or Books?

by waterfall
Tags: books, nobel, papers
Office_Shredder
Feb18-12, 06:46 PM
Mentor
P: 4,499
Quote Quote by waterfall View Post
So how will they publish? In peer review journal which takes some months to review, the referee and colleagues will (with 8 of 10 probably) just acquired the idea and reframe it in other words to hide the connection.
Do you have any basis for this or did you just make up a number? I wasn't aware that the physics community was a cesspool of crooks and scumbags

Remember the nobel prize takes years to win, it's not an overnight process. Do you really think somebody's going to torpedo their career on the off-chance they can cover up a conspiracy to steal someone else's research for two decades? Especially when that person has probably put their paper on arxiv
waterfall
Feb18-12, 06:58 PM
P: 381
Quote Quote by Office_Shredder View Post
Do you have any basis for this or did you just make up a number? I wasn't aware that the physics community was a cesspool of crooks and scumbags

Remember the nobel prize takes years to win, it's not an overnight process. Do you really think somebody's going to torpedo their career on the off-chance they can cover up a conspiracy to steal someone else's research for two decades? Especially when that person has probably put their paper on arxiv
In the book Nobel Dreams, the author mentioned how competitions is so much in the community, and elsewhere I read how people are so afraid to submit critical idea for peer review because they are afraid the idea may be acquired. And in one case it is indeed acquired but the author gave the wrong formula and reinserted the right formula the last minute before it went into publication.
Pengwuino
Feb18-12, 08:54 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,125
Thanks for this new perspective about arxiv. I thought the site is equal to electronic version of the print or substitute for print. You know most magazines now come in ebook format. So I thought the arxiv library was like an online publication thing.
Nope, not at all.

Admit it. Nobel is not just the recognition but the 1.5 million dollars prize too. It's like a lotto prize. So how will they publish? In peer review journal which takes some months to review, the referee and colleagues will (with 8 of 10 probably) just acquired the idea and reframe it in other words to hide the connection. So maybe the Savant need to just publish it here at Physicsforums? In the Nobel Committee investigations, can the archive here be used as floor to establish the originator of the idea? If not here, where else to publish?
This all sounds like uneducated garbage. Have you ever taken any time to see the age and backgrounds of recent Nobel laureates? Many Prizes are given for work done 30 years before. Split that typically 2-3 ways and you now have a much smaller amount of money to talk about. Then realize that people important enough to win a Nobel Prize have most likely had extremely successful careers and don't see $500k the way you and I would see it. I don't think you'd be able to find a single researcher who says they do their research because they want a Nobel Prize. Sure, it would be fantastic to receive one, but if it factors heavily into their motivation, they clearly have no grasp of the realities of being a scientist. Hell, a vast majority of research people do is not Nobel Prize worthy because science is about advancing our knowledge, not about getting a prize.
Pengwuino
Feb18-12, 08:58 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,125
In the book Nobel Dreams, the author mentioned how competitions is so much in the community, and elsewhere I read how people are so afraid to submit critical idea for peer review because they are afraid the idea may be acquired. And in one case it is indeed acquired but the author gave the wrong formula and reinserted the right formula the last minute before it went into publication.
Do you have any sources for this? You'll find a plethora of nutjobs that are afraid their ideas will be stolen simply by sitting around this forum for a while. A while ago, I remember it became a near daily occurrence for someone to join the forum, claim they have determined a GUT, and then claim they don't want to say anything to anyone because they know their idea will be stolen.

Of course, when challenged to give any evidence of their own understanding of physics, it comes off as a strange amalgamation of 9th grade physics, stuff they saw on the History Channel, and random ideas that your average person probably needs to do a lot of drugs in order to come up with.
waterfall
Feb18-12, 09:05 PM
P: 381
Quote Quote by Pengwuino View Post
Do you have any sources for this? You'll find a plethora of nutjobs that are afraid their ideas will be stolen simply by sitting around this forum for a while. A while ago, I remember it became a near daily occurrence for someone to join the forum, claim they have determined a GUT, and then claim they don't want to say anything to anyone because they know their idea will be stolen.

Of course, when challenged to give any evidence of their own understanding of physics, it comes off as a strange amalgamation of 9th grade physics, stuff they saw on the History Channel, and random ideas that your average person probably needs to do a lot of drugs in order to come up with.
I'll dig it up. For normal papers. They don't bother getting it refereed. But for those with calculations like how Feynman did the QED stunt. That's where they were afraid because it takes 6 months to one year to referee a paper and in those months, it can leak out.
Evo
Feb18-12, 10:35 PM
Mentor
P: 25,925
This is nonsense.

Register to reply