HowlerMonkey
Feb8-12, 11:29 PM
P: 275
It's quite obvious.

Feb19-12, 04:18 PM
P: 31
Quote Quote by DaveC426913 View Post
Hey.

You know what is that big and is found in the Baltic Sea?

Spoiler
Offshore Drilling Platforms.

Here's one, randomly picked, that's 200ft in diameter...

I know. I'm a fun-wrecker.
I've never heard of any drilling platforms in the baltic sea. Where did you find that information?
DaveC426913
Feb19-12, 06:53 PM
P: 15,325
Quote Quote by 920118 View Post
I've never heard of any drilling platforms in the baltic sea. Where did you find that information?
I Googled 'drilling platforms Baltic Sea'.
Dickfore
Feb19-12, 07:02 PM
P: 3,015
Just to give a pictorial representation of what was hinted to in the article the OP had linked. For the Trekkies on these fora:

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/ima...onInterior.jpg

Mod note: image swapped with link to avoid thread stretching
DaveC426913
Feb19-12, 07:05 PM
Quote Quote by Dickfore View Post
Just to give a pictorial representation of what was hinted to in the article the OP had linked. For the Trekkies on these fora:
Uh. What exactly are the Trekkies going to do with that picture? Laugh? Spit?

Someone's showing his age ...
Dickfore
Feb19-12, 07:13 PM
Being Trekkies, they would not know what the MF is.
Feb20-12, 02:07 PM
I Googled 'drilling platforms Baltic Sea'.
Hmph... I didn't find it on wikipedia, so it clearly isn't true.

The only information I'm able to find about drilling platforms in the Baltic sea concerns some platforms in the vicinity of Kaliningrad, but that isn't between Sweden and Finland. Those are also reported to be created in the Kaliningrad area, so it does seem kind of strange that one would end up in the area where the photo was take.
DaveC426913
Feb20-12, 04:50 PM
Quote Quote by 920118 View Post
Hmph... I didn't find it on wikipedia, so it clearly isn't true.

The only information I'm able to find about drilling platforms in the Baltic sea concerns some platforms in the vicinity of Kaliningrad, but that isn't between Sweden and Finland. Those are also reported to be created in the Kaliningrad area, so it does seem kind of strange that one would end up in the area where the photo was take.
Why is it kind of strange? I confess I know nothing about distribution and/or transportation of drilling rigs, but the fact that platforms are in the area is enough for me to consider it plausible. Do you know why there wouldn't be any there? Do you know where their port of first launch is?

But more importantly, however strange it may seem, trying to explain a drilling platform is far easier than most of the other suggestions so far.
Dickfore
Feb20-12, 06:31 PM
But more importantly, however strange it may seem, trying to explain a drilling platform is far easier than most of the other suggestions so far.
Barring my explanation. The resemblence is remarkable.
Feb20-12, 09:11 PM
Why is it kind of strange? I confess I know nothing about distribution and/or transportation of drilling rigs, but the fact that platforms are in the area is enough for me to consider it plausible. Do you know why there wouldn't be any there? Do you know where their port of first launch is?

Well, there doesn't seem to be any drilling platforms between Sweden and Finland, (I live in the area, so I'm pretty damn sure of this) and the only ones in the Baltic Sea seem to be pretty far away to the south, and were construced even further to the south. Finland is located northeast from Stockholm, while Kaliningrad is located 350-400 miles to the south-southeast. (For some reason I feel as if I'm too tired to understand your question... I should probably go asleep now)

Well yeah, it seems more plausible. But I'm not very good at being constructive ;)
lisab
Feb21-12, 05:46 PM
Mentor
P: 2,917
That "NCC-1701" written on it...what could that mean?
Dickfore
Feb21-12, 10:09 PM
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
That "NCC-1701" written on it...what could that mean?
That it made the Kessel Run in twelve parsecs.
CaptFirePanda
Feb23-12, 09:23 AM
P: 27
Not to beat the Star Wars thing to death, but it does bear a striking resemblance to:

megin
Feb23-12, 10:41 AM
P: 4
Quote Quote by Dickfore View Post

http://images.wikia.com/starwars/ima...onInterior.jpg

Mod note: image swapped with link to avoid thread stretching
I expected to see the enterprise
DennisN
Feb26-12, 08:43 AM
P: 441
I live in Sweden, so I have the most authority on this topic. What has been found is a real UFO. It has now been transported to a military facility. Don't ask me where, I am not allowed to reveal the location. Tests are currently being made on the craft. I got this information from a close friend of mine whose brother works in the military. So, in the near future we might have quantum weapons, antigravity, hyperdrives, teleports and psi-equipment. Then you all will fear the mighty Swedes!
"He stars on a History Channel woo-woo show about ancient aliens. Humans couldn't have built the pyramids, humans couldn't have erected the stones at Stonehenge, etc, etc. I'm not saying that it was aliens, but it was Aliens!!!!"
I've actually seen a couple of those programmes . I wish I didn't. They're full of wild speculations, most of them very easy to debunk. Why isn't there a delete button for my brain? Still, the thing that was found in the Baltic Sea is a UFO. I'm 100% sure, I read it on facebook.

Edit: I've striked out the things which was supposed to be a joke.
Evo
Feb26-12, 09:06 AM
Mentor
P: 25,945
Quote Quote by DennisN View Post
I live in Sweden, so I have the most authority on this topic. What has been found is a real UFO. It has now been transported to a military facility. Don't ask me where, I am not allowed to reveal the location. Tests are currently being made on the craft. I got this information from a close friend of mine whose brother works in the military. So, in the near future we might have quantum weapons, antigravity, hyperdrives, teleports and psi-equipment.

Then you all will fear the mighty Swedes!

I've actually seen a couple of those programmes . I wish I didn't. They're full of wild and insane speculations, most of them very easy to debunk. Why isn't there a delete button for my brain? Still, the thing that was found in the Baltic Sea is a UFO. I'm 100% sure, I read it on facebook.
Very funny, but even in S&D we need to keep it serious.
DennisN
Feb26-12, 09:52 AM
P: 441
Ok, sorry. Do you want me to edit/delete my post? Edit: Edit: I've striked out the things which was supposed to be a joke.
Evo
Feb26-12, 10:10 AM
Mentor
P: 25,945
Quote Quote by DennisN View Post
Ok, sorry. Do you want me to edit/delete my post? Edit: Edit: I've striked out the things which was supposed to be a joke.

Register to reply