PF Random Thoughts

by protonchain
Tags: random
Share this thread:
Hobin
Feb21-12, 10:39 AM
P: 194
Quote Quote by turbo View Post
Do you have a cat that will come to you when you say "come!" ? I didn't think so.
Doesn't that prove my point that cats are king?

(Ok, so *apparently*, I've now subjected myself to the superiority of my cat. Oh well.)
micromass
Feb21-12, 10:41 AM
Mentor
P: 18,019
Quote Quote by Hobin View Post
Doesn't that prove my point that cats are king?

(Ok, so *apparently*, I've now subjected myself to the superiority of my cat. Oh well.)
Exactly!

Dogs obey because they're trained to obey. Cats love you because they choose to
Hobin
Feb21-12, 11:02 AM
So... You would prefer someone you had conditioned to be friends with you over someone who chooses to love you out of their own will? That's disturbing.
micromass
Feb21-12, 11:04 AM
Mentor
P: 18,019
Quote Quote by Hobin View Post
So... You would prefer someone you had conditioned to be friends with you over someone who chooses to love you out of their own will? That's disturbing.
Uuh, did I say that??
Ivan Seeking
Feb21-12, 11:06 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,497
Do you have a cat that will come to you when you say "come!" ? I didn't think so.
Little Tyke not only comes when I call her, she is also trained to jump in the car when commanded to do so. And she does it absolutely every time without fail, when she feels like it.
Jimmy Snyder
Feb21-12, 11:33 AM
P: 2,179
Quote Quote by micromass View Post
So... You would prefer 18th century oboe concertos to Japanese industrial design? That's disturbing too.
Hobin
Feb21-12, 11:40 AM
Quote Quote by micromass View Post
Uuh, did I say that??
No, you didn't. But, "a strawman a day keeps the philosophers away." Didn't they teach you that in school?

Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder
So... You would prefer 18th century oboe concertos to Japanese industrial design? That's disturbing too.
Hey now! There's nothing wrong with prefering 18th century oboe concertos!

<.<

>.>

...Right?
Ivan Seeking
Feb21-12, 02:16 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Woohoo, the Dow topped the 13,000 mark today. It just dropped a bit lower.

13,000 is almost exactly double the lowest value hit in March of 2009, which was just about 6500. At 14,000, we are into new territory once again.
turbo
Feb21-12, 02:58 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
I had one cat that would "obey". She was a blue-eyed white long haired Persian mix. Midnight was as deaf as a post, but she always knew when I came into the house and weaved my ankles until I sat somewhere - then I was HERS! I couldn't get her to to any specithic things, but when I was in that house, she was mine. It's funny. Our neighbors had about 10 cats at any any given time, but Midnight was Mine. She latched onto me, and even though she was deaf, she always knew when I was in the house and came running to me
Ivan Seeking
Feb21-12, 03:06 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
I had one cat that would "obey". She was a blue-eyed white long haired Persian mix. Midnight was as deaf as a post, but she always knew when I came into the house and weaved my ankles until I sat somewhere - then I was HERS! I couldn't get her to to any specithic things, but when I was in that house, she was mine. It's funny. Our neighbors had about 10 cats at any any given time, but Midnight was Mine. She latched onto me, and even though she was deaf, she always knew when I was in the house and came running to me
No doubt about it: Little Tyke has adopted me like no cat before. Dogs are supposed to "follow you around like a puppy dog", but it is unusual for cats to do this.

I have mentioned that she likes to ride in the car up to the house. Sometimes she even goes for a ride and then runs right back down to the office! But now we have a new program: She waits at the office door for me to open the car door...[ready for this one?] so she doesn't have to stand in the rain. As soon as I open the car door, she makes a break for it and leaps into the car.
lisab
Feb21-12, 08:56 PM
Mentor
P: 2,974
Now HeLiXe is missing .
Evo
Feb21-12, 09:32 PM
Mentor
P: 26,423
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
Now HeLiXe is missing .
She is!!
ThomasT
Feb21-12, 09:48 PM
P: 1,414
Quote Quote by rollcast View Post
I'm now surfing the net using Ubuntu linux after Win7 coughed, spluttered and finally died leaving me with a small white blinking caret on the screen after turning my laptop on.
Win7 stopped working? That's unusual (or, maybe not, depending on your settings). I assume you've tried the usual fixes.

I also use Linux, and always have some version of it (currently Ubuntu) installed (for variety, and to keep up with improvements) along with Win7. But I've never had a problem with Win7. I disable updates, and run Mozilla Firefox instead of Internet Explorer.
netgypsy
Feb21-12, 10:26 PM
P: 239
win7 is supposed to be very stable. I've had no problems with it either. I use firefox also.

Whoever was discussing the oboe - I am very fond of the oboe as I play it myself and it is at the pinnacle of sound producing devices.

My cats say

Cats rule
Dogs drool hahahahaha (hisssssss)

Dogs are fun but have several limitations. They love to snack in cat litter pans. They love to roll in carrion. They bark at the wrong things and some never shut up. Some bite people. They can't purr. You have to take them out to "go" in terrible weather. Some times they make a mistake and when the power is out one can step barefooted in one of those mistakes. They don't "bury it" when they finish. There's nothing that smells quite like a wet dog. So the dog has to be a really nice critter to make up for the short comings. ( I confess I've had several that did make up for them.)
ThomasT
Feb21-12, 10:42 PM
P: 1,414
Quote Quote by netgypsy View Post
Whoever was discussing the oboe - I am very fond of the oboe as I play it myself and it is at the pinnacle of sound producing devices.
I agree, the sound produced by a well played oboe is most sublimely satisfying. I used to repair them when I was very young, but never learned to play one really well.
rootX
Feb21-12, 11:11 PM
P: 1,294
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
Now HeLiXe is missing .
I was thinking exactly same yesterday!
rootX
Feb21-12, 11:12 PM
P: 1,294
Quote Quote by Biosyn View Post
Definition of love:

"A short-term hormonal distraction which interferes with the pure pursuit of personal advancement."

-Red Dwarf
I want to make this my signature!!! But I am not a hologram
Jimmy Snyder
Feb21-12, 11:48 PM
P: 2,179
Quote Quote by ThomasT View Post
I agree, the sound produced by a well played oboe is most sublimely satisfying. I used to repair them when I was very young, but never learned to play one really well.
It's an ill woodwind that nobody blows good.

Register to reply