Share this thread:
wukunlin
Feb22-12, 03:25 AM
PF Gold
P: 346
Quote Quote by dlgoff View Post
Quantum Physics and Optoelectronics?

Sounds like friends material to me.
i thought matching making services is that [itex] \uparrow [/itex] way.

Thanks though, I know who to hassle the hell out of when I need help with the QM details the laser diodes now
Astronuc
Feb22-12, 05:58 AM
Admin
P: 21,910
I've met Tom Mattson, Cyrus, Moonbear, Ivan Seeking, Integral, Greg B., Gokul, ZapperZ, turbo and George Jones. I'd certainly like to meet more folks from PF.

I exchange messages at PF or other forums, and chat with others.

I was at a symposium and a student from MIT recognized me. As far as I know, he's not a member, but periodically browses the forum.
turbo
Feb22-12, 06:29 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by Gad View Post
Your father has the same name, Turbo? This is rare over here, a few people might name a child after his father, only if the father passed away, same for girls. But again not common.
My niece named her daughter Harley, too. She is a precocious little thing. Then my (much) younger brother had a daughter and they named her Hayley because Harley was already taken.

Hayley

Harley
Jimmy Snyder
Feb22-12, 06:32 AM
P: 2,179
The only member I actually met was SpaceTiger. I watched him give a lecture after the defense of his PhD thesis. I spoke with Gokul43201 and with turbo on the phone. I just missed meeting Chi Meson when I visited his campsite in NH. He was away at the time.
drizzle
Feb22-12, 07:42 AM
PF Gold
P: 526
Quote Quote by turbo View Post
My niece named her daughter Harley, too. She is a precocious little thing. Then my (much) younger brother had a daughter and they named her Hayley because Harley was already taken.

Hayley

Harley
Oooohahahooo, cutie cutie cutie little girls
turbo
Feb22-12, 07:51 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Gad View Post
Oooohahahooo, cutie cutie cutie little girls
They are both as cute as can be. Harley will sit quietly when visiting, but as soon as she is free to roam, she hunts for a rock. It doesn't have to be a pretty rock, or special in any way. She just wants a rock. My wife and I love rock-hounding, as as Harley gets older, we'll take her on field-trips. She could become a geologist.
netgypsy
Feb22-12, 08:40 AM
P: 239
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
How could it be? But I see Evo already did the honors

Keep us posted about how you feel after you get back from ER.
She did???? Must have been a metaphysical whale shark
Moonbear
Feb22-12, 09:01 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,270
I've met ZZ, Astronuc, Greg, Gokul, Russ Watters, and SpaceTiger. Zz and I actually went to Disney together (what a surprise we'd pick that destination for meeting!) and have gotten together a few other times.

It turns out that one of Redbelly's contra dance friends is my former choir director, which was one of those surprising "It's a Small World" discoveries, but I haven't met up with him yet. Maybe if a visit to NJ coincides with a contra dance appropriate for beginners...
turbo
Feb22-12, 10:28 AM
PF Gold
Darn! I thought the Contras died off when Reagan's secret Iranian money dried up.
netgypsy
Feb22-12, 10:57 AM
Ahhh - I found it - metaphysical whale sharks take longer to reach one than physical whale sharks, I guess. ???
netgypsy
Feb22-12, 11:03 AM
Quote Quote by George Jones View Post
My wife makes baingan aloo.
what is baingan aloo??? Is it similar to baingan bharta (YUMMM)??
Jimmy Snyder
Feb22-12, 02:32 PM
Quote Quote by Moonbear View Post
Maybe if a visit to NJ coincides with a contra dance appropriate for beginners...
This group meets in Princeton for contra dancing every Wednesday and on the 4th Saturday of each month. The dance starts at 8:00 pm, but there are beginner lessons at 7:30. Let me know if you ever get a chance to go and I'll try to meet you there. Here's their site with detailed information.

Princeton Country Dancers
turbo
Feb22-12, 02:37 PM
PF Gold
There are Contras hiding out in NJ? This immigration problem is getting serious!
Jimmy Snyder
Feb22-12, 02:45 PM
Actually, it's a variant of contra dancing called contravariant dancing, dual to covariant dancing. Apparently there was a primitive man taken from the jungle and shown just such a dance. When they asked him if he knew what the dancers were doing he said that he did, but he wondered why they were standing up.
Integral
Feb22-12, 03:41 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 7,334
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
Actually, it's a variant of contra dancing called contravariant dancing, dual to covariant dancing. Apparently there was a primitive man taken from the jungle and shown just such a dance. When they asked him if he knew what the dancers were doing he said that he did, but he wondered why they were standing up.
Reading this makes me tensor.
Moonbear
Feb22-12, 06:31 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
This group meets in Princeton for contra dancing every Wednesday and on the 4th Saturday of each month. The dance starts at 8:00 pm, but there are beginner lessons at 7:30. Let me know if you ever get a chance to go and I'll try to meet you there. Here's their site with detailed information.

Princeton Country Dancers
Do you do contra dancing too? I've only done it once, and it was fun, so I'd give it another try if the timing was right and there were other PFers interested in attending, but it's not a requirement for me to attend a contra dance to get together with PFers in NJ. I visit NYC several times a year (the boyfriend is still there and still a boyfriend) and south NJ about once or twice a year (the sister and nephew are still there...and I usually welcome excuses to spend a few hours away from the brother-in-law if he does something silly like have days off from work when I'm visiting, which was when/why I met up with Russ in Philly the first time).

My biggest problem is that I tend to pick random days of the week to head there, and on short notice, so most of my long-time friends are working when I visit. I just take whatever days I can get as I see a clearing in my schedule. I can certainly let you know whenever I'm headed that way if I will have some unscheduled time (sometimes I do, sometimes I don't). For example, I was in NYC last weekend, and had all day Friday free while my boyfriend was at work. I could have made a trip into NJ, or had someone from NJ meet me in NYC, but most normal people were working.
Jimmy Snyder
Feb22-12, 06:36 PM
Quote Quote by Moonbear View Post
Do you do contra dancing too?
No, but I would try it. I'm pro contra dancing.
Moonbear
Feb22-12, 06:42 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
No, but I would try it. I'm pro contra dancing.
LOL! I'd be willing to try the English Country Dancing if it corresponded with a visit too. Maybe some other NJans will admit they're from NJ and join us too if we met up for that.

Register to reply