The Brain and Concentration

by Nano-Passion
Tags: brain, concentration
Nano-Passion
Feb23-12, 04:20 PM
P: 1,306
What are the current accepted paradigms on concentration and Focus? I want to know more information about it, links are also greatly appreciated.

Sometimes I can study for a very long-period of time with complete concentration. And other times I just can't seem to focus as much as I would like and my mind would often wander.

What helps concentration?
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Campaigners say protected birds in danger in Malta
WWF condemns oil search in Africa's oldest national park
Genome yields insights into golden eagle vision, smell
Evo
Feb23-12, 05:39 PM
Mentor
P: 25,967
Quote Quote by Nano-Passion View Post
What are the current accepted paradigms on concentration and Focus? I want to know more information about it, links are also greatly appreciated.

Sometimes I can study for a very long-period of time with complete concentration. And other times I just can't seem to focus as much as I would like and my mind would often wander.

Sleep.
lisab
Feb23-12, 07:12 PM
Mentor
P: 2,917
For me, it's good to get regular exercise...and sleep, like Evo said.

Nano-Passion
Feb23-12, 07:43 PM

The Brain and Concentration

Quote Quote by Pythagorean View Post
amphetamines
Only thing I take is a cup of coffee in the morning.

Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Sleep.
I get plenty of that. =D

Quote Quote by lisab View Post
For me, it's good to get regular exercise...and sleep, like Evo said.
Regular exercise maintains concentration?
Pythagorean
Feb23-12, 08:49 PM
PF Gold
P: 4,214
Coffee has been shown to provide some benefit for ADD/ADHD, too, but they still prescribe amphetamines like Aderall. Lots of controversy there, though. Hard to tell when pharmaceutical companies tend to be selective in their reporting.
Nano-Passion
Feb23-12, 09:12 PM
Coffee has been shown to provide some benefit for ADD/ADHD, too, but they still prescribe amphetamines like Aderall. Lots of controversy there, though. Hard to tell when pharmaceutical companies tend to be selective in their reporting.
How much caffeine (how many cups) should I take? I take only one a day because I fear of being too dependent or addicted.

---

I wish Adderall was legal. Its a shame brain enhancers are looked down upon, in fact, I think its the smart thing to do; pun intended.

Though the thing that scares me is that its said that it can induce psychosis.
Pythagorean
Feb23-12, 09:15 PM
PF Gold
No idea, never read the research in depth, just the abstract.

Yeah, I wouldn't with mess with my long-term brain chemistry like that. Practicing concentration is probably the most beneficial approach for a healthy individual.
Nano-Passion
Feb23-12, 09:24 PM
No idea, never read the research in depth, just the abstract.

Yeah, I wouldn't with mess with my long-term brain chemistry like that. Practicing concentration is probably the most beneficial approach for a healthy individual.
Sometimes I have veryy good concentration, other times I don't. I just want to be more consistent.

I'm looking to take Ginkgo Biloba and Omega-3s. Any other natural "brain boosters" out there?
Pythagorean
Feb23-12, 09:27 PM
PF Gold
You're on the right track, good nutrition and sleep is really what it comes down too. I'll bet omega-3's are magnitudes more effective than ginko biloba. Dark chocolate has known positive effects too.

There's also attitude and interpersonal relations. Those can always be distracting.
Drakkith
Feb23-12, 09:39 PM
PF Gold
P: 11,058
I love my Aderall. If it wasn't for it, I'd still be in what I like to call my "zombie mode". Imagine walking around in a near daze all day, every day, for the better part of at least 6-7 years and not knowing anything was wrong.
thorium1010
Feb24-12, 12:25 AM
P: 198

Have you tried simple meditation techniques?. Meditation can help in concentration especially done in the morning.
lisab
Feb24-12, 09:34 AM
Mentor
P: 2,917
It does for me - it allows me to sit longer. I get fidgety if I have a lot of pent-up energy.

I should add another thing that helps me tremendously: routine. Get into a regular study schedule. For me, this means being in the same place, too.
MrRagnarok
Feb24-12, 01:34 PM
P: 16
From a neuroscientific perspective, exercise stimulates the release of molecules that enhance the signaling of brain cells and promotes neurogenesis (new neurons are made in two regions of the human brain, one important for learning and memory). Running also enhances the brain to synchronize signalling into patterns thought to be important during learning and memory (although I think this data is more correlation than causation).

Personally, I know the weeks I don't go for a run I am more distractable and irritable. I think I also heard somewhere that it's healthy for you?

Register to reply