Tags: graphene, graphyne
Share this thread:
sanman
Feb24-12, 06:48 PM
P: 656
Graphyne is a variant of graphene which has Carbon-Carbon triple-bonds:

http://physics.aps.org/articles/v5/24

Image:

I'm thinking that it wouldn't have superior mechanical properties, since the presence of the triple bond would give a polar character that weakens the SP2-hybridization. However that same polar character might have useful benefits for electron mobility and bandgap properties.

Opinions?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Interfaces within materials can be patterned as a means of controlling the properties of composites
A new, tunable device for spintronics
Researchers study gallium to design adjustable electronic components
Jolb
Feb24-12, 08:06 PM
P: 419
Interesting! These probably would be very similar to graphene, but definitely lighter. I'm also betting that since they don't have as symmetrical a shape as graphene, they have some sort of directional dependence on their ability to resist stress/strain, so they might not be as good as graphene for applications like super-strong cables or flexible circuits/processors. They might be tensionally stronger by mass than graphene, but probably similar if not weaker by volume, so perhaps they'd be better for super light cables [space elevator?]. I'm also betting that they're even harder than graphene to synthesize.

I agree that their electron transport and energy band properties would probably be quite different from graphene. They might even have a directional dependence on their electron transport properties and band gap properties, which could have any number of interesting applications.
sanman
Feb25-12, 03:54 AM
I guess this is how it behaves under strain:

sanman
Feb25-12, 04:04 AM
Graphyne Better Than Graphene?

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...08622311003861

Carbon nanotubes and graphene have paved the way for the next step in the evolution of carbon materials. Among the novel forms of carbon allotropes is graphyne – a two-dimensional lattice of sp–sp2-hybridized carbon atoms similar to graphene for which recent progress has been made in synthesizing dehydrobenzoannulene precursors that form subunits of graphyne. Here, we characterize the mechanical properties of single-atomic-layer graphyne sheets by full atomistic first-principles-based ReaxFF molecular dynamics. Atomistic modeling is carried out to determine its mechanical properties for both in-plane and bending deformation including material failure, as well as intersheet adhesion. Unlike graphene, the fracture strain and stress of graphyne depends strongly on the direction of the applied strain and the alignment with carbon triple-bond linkages, ranging from 48.2 to 107.5 GPa with ultimate strains of 8.2–13.2%. The intersheet adhesion and out-of-plane bending stiffnesses are comparable to graphene, despite the density of graphyne being only one-half of that of graphene. Unlike graphene, the sparser carbon arrangement in graphyne combined with the directional dependence on the acetylenic groups results in internal stiffening dependent on the direction of applied loading, leading to a nonlinear stress–strain behavior.
http://prl.aps.org/abstract/PRL/v108/i8/e086804

The existence of Dirac cones in the band structure of two-dimensional materials accompanied by unprecedented electronic properties is considered to be a unique feature of graphene related to its hexagonal symmetry. Here, we present other two-dimensional carbon materials, graphynes, that also possess Dirac cones according to first-principles electronic structure calculations. One of these materials, 6,6,12-graphyne, does not have hexagonal symmetry and features two self-doped nonequivalent distorted Dirac cones suggesting electronic properties even more amazing than that of graphene.
ErolDynamics
Mar18-12, 08:37 AM
P: 16
I would like to ask what is the way of making graphyne ?
sanman
Mar23-12, 05:27 PM
http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ol7014253

that's all I could find

Register to reply