by timejim
Tags: dimensional, objects
Share this thread:
Drakkith
Feb25-12, 05:19 AM
Mentor
P: 11,562
Quote Quote by tomunc View Post
It is believed by many that the universe will continue to expand forever...thinking that Dark Energy > Dark Matter (Repulsion > Contraction). However, what if say over a trillion years or so black holes continues to grow in number, and the larger of them continued to eat the smaller ones, increasing the size of their Event Horizons to the point of being able to eat entire galaxies. Then, over time the biggest of the biggest of the black holes ate the remaining black holes, and eventually EVERYTHING in the entire universe was sucked into this one humongous black hole, creating another Singularity...which BANGED again...and again...and again...for eternity.
This is nonsense. Black holes do not work this way and don't get nearly this big. The multi-million solar mass monster in our galaxy's center isn't even bigger than our solar system.

Wouldn't this possibility also answer the God issue of what existed before the Big Bang...that the "Perpetual Universe" is in itself God, therefore not in need of a secondary creator?
Please keep religious topics out of the discussion per PF rules.

So much of what we "believe" today is still theoretical. Over the centuries what we once believed has been replaced by something else, which has since been replaced, etc...

Maybe it's not as complicated as we think.

If someone absolutely knows WHY the possible answer I give here is unsound, please set me straight.

tomunc
You are partially correct. Science is constantly being updated with better and more accurate models. I think it's more correct to say that what we believe to be true is growing increasingly accurate as time passes, not that our previous ideas are being replaced. Calculating the flight time of a thrown baseball using classical physics will be just as accurate and correct now as it will be in 2,000 years. Baseballs don't start moving in spirals when thrown just because we come up with a new theory. Classical physics itself is 100% valid if used in the right context, it is in no way theoretical, as is Quantum Mechanics and General Relativity.
tomunc
Feb25-12, 08:54 AM
P: 2
Quote Quote by Drakkith View Post
This is nonsense. Black holes do not work this way and don't get nearly this big. The multi-million solar mass monster in our galaxy's center isn't even bigger than our solar system.

The universe is what...about 13.7 billion years old? Perhaps within a respective cycle this is but a drop in a bucket or a grain of sand on a beach of time relative to the duration of the cycle. Perhaps there are already existing black holes much, much larger than the one at the center of the Milky Way or any other galaxy we can see.

And besides, why would you use the term nonsense in reply to a question posed by a new member? Is it because you're so much smarter than I, and because you have all the answers? And how is it that you're such an expert on the nature of black holes?
Drakkith
Feb25-12, 11:28 PM
Mentor
P: 11,562
Quote Quote by tomunc View Post
The universe is what...about 13.7 billion years old? Perhaps within a respective cycle this is but a drop in a bucket or a grain of sand on a beach of time relative to the duration of the cycle. Perhaps there are already existing black holes much, much larger than the one at the center of the Milky Way or any other galaxy we can see.
There are, but not the size of what you suggested earlier. Plus they are expected to give off radiation over time, reducing their mass and causing them to shrink, making it unlikely for them to ever join together in huge numbers to form one massive one of that scale. Plus black holes do not suck in objects like a vacuum cleaner, they act like any other object that gravitates does.

And how is it that you're such an expert on the nature of black holes?
I am not an expert, I merely know the basics from reading up on them and learning here on PF.

Register to reply