P: 12,493
Quote Quote by zoobyshoe View Post
Where does it put them?
You don't want to know!
ThomasT
Feb25-12, 10:43 AM
P: 1,414
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
Sorry, you can't make that statement and request at PF and expect cooperation.

Maxwell's demon is a famous thought experiment that seemed to suggest that it is possible to get free energy - to make heat flow from cold to hot.
I know what it is. I was just thinking that maybe I don't understand it's significance.

I was watching the original Andromeda Strain movie tonight. I've seen this a number of times but never realized I had only seen a highly edited version of the original movie. Suddenly there were scenes coming up I'd never seen before! That's always a nice susprise on a movie you thought you knew forwards and backwards. I only had it on because I was working and not really paying attention. Only by chance did I look up at just the right time.
I saw the original in a movie theater. Are you saying that there's a more complete version?
ThomasT
Feb25-12, 10:50 AM
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
Borek's demon - one that removes not random comments from the random comments thread.
According to what exclusion criterion? Is Borek's demon not a determinist?
Moonbear
Feb25-12, 10:57 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,257
I finally get around to calling my car dealer to schedule a recall service that I haven't had time to deal with (nothing major, just a part that might cause me to lose control of my steering ), and while I was on the phone, their computer system crashed. Twiddling my thumbs and waiting for them to call me back when they have it rebooted and running again. I know if I don't go anywhere so I can wait for the call and get this scheduled, it'll be hours before they have things fixed. If I head out and run some other errands, they'll call 5 min from now.
OmCheeto
Feb25-12, 11:07 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,370
So much randomness, so little time:

Statistics:
- 1 in every 5,000 live births survive
- 1 in every 5,000 still births survive
Zombies? or spawn of Maxwell?

South Korea is not awesome at all....
(ref)

Seen in the wiki entry on South Korea yesterday when trying to figure out the official name: Republic of Korea (definite maybe, so please don't quote me.)
Borek
Feb25-12, 03:53 PM
Admin
P: 22,679
Random thoughts on Maxwell's demon.
Biosyn
Feb25-12, 06:38 PM
P: 112

www.PenguinHats.com

I wore mine to the aquarium :)
Hobin
Feb25-12, 06:46 PM
P: 194
I want one!
rootX
Feb25-12, 11:14 PM
P: 1,295
If crows are crying does that mean there are witches around .. now I am scared!
zoobyshoe
Feb25-12, 11:27 PM
P: 5,616
Quote Quote by rootX View Post
If crows are crying does that mean there are witches around .. now I am scared!
No, it means a fox stole their cheese, is all.
OmCheeto
Feb26-12, 12:21 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,370
I had put together a 45 minute post this morning about my experience with hefting around 350 bowling ball double mass type things one day, and how I permanently messed up my back, but it sounded kind of sissy.

So I'll just go to bed.

again...
Biosyn
Feb26-12, 12:49 AM
Anyone know where to buy a model steam engine and/or stirling engine under $54.79 (the amount that I just so happen to have left over on Paypal.) ?

:P
ThomasT
Feb26-12, 01:57 AM
Thanks for starting the new thread. I hope you don't start a new thread with this post, because it might lead to some sort of infinite ... thing. I have a problem with infinity, which I don't think developed randomly.
turbo
Feb26-12, 02:02 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
Infinity (especially infinite branching) has some downsides...
ThomasT
Feb26-12, 02:20 AM
Quote Quote by turbo View Post
Infinity (especially infinite branching) has some downsides...
Well, processes iterated indefinitely I can handle. (Which might seem to contradict what I said to Borek -- apparently my thoughts are more random than I had previously ... thought.) But stuff like "the universe is infinite" I have a problem with.
zoobyshoe
Feb26-12, 06:19 AM
Quote Quote by Biosyn View Post
Anyone know where to buy a model steam engine and/or stirling engine under $54.79 (the amount that I just so happen to have left over on Paypal.) ?
Don't want to make your own?

Here's a famous simple one that most can make:

You can make it as nice or as junky looking as you want. This guy went for junky, but it works pretty well.
Biosyn
Feb26-12, 11:45 AM
Quote Quote by zoobyshoe View Post
Don't want to make your own?

Here's a famous simple one that most can make:

You can make it as nice or as junky looking as you want. This guy went for junky, but it works pretty well.

Thanks, I guess I could make one myself if I put in the effort, but I was just looking for a small version to put up on my desk and amuse myself when I get bored. :)
zoobyshoe
Feb26-12, 02:36 PM
Quote Quote by Biosyn View Post
Thanks, I guess I could make one myself if I put in the effort, but I was just looking for a small version to put up on my desk and amuse myself when I get bored. :)
Actually, commercially made ones are way overpriced. I guess they're only made by small companies that end up having to charge a lot because they can't make mega-amounts of them all at once. I haven't seen any at all that seemed to be priced in line with what you get.

Register to reply