Register to reply

Electron motion = light?

by jd12345
Tags: electron, light, motion
Share this thread:
jd12345
Feb25-12, 10:06 PM
P: 260
When an electron moves( or any charge particle moves) it creates a magnetic field around it according to biot-savarts law and ofcourse it creates an electric field around it.

So a moving electron creates light as both electric and magnetic field are present? Am i right? plz correct me if im not

Im very confused about light. It contains both electric and magnetic fields then it should contain a charged particle otherwise how these fields will be created
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
UCI team is first to capture motion of single molecule in real time
And so they beat on, flagella against the cantilever
Tandem microwave destroys hazmat, disinfects
Matterwave
Feb25-12, 10:24 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,951
Not quite. An electron has to accelerate to create EM waves (light). An electron which moves uniformly only has static E and B fields.
jd12345
Feb25-12, 11:52 PM
So for light we need changing E and B fields?

And plz answer my second question : IF light contains both electric and magnetic fields then it should contain a charged particle otherwise how these fields will be created ?

Pengwuino
Feb26-12, 12:06 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,120
Electron motion = light?

Quote Quote by jd12345 View Post
So for light we need changing E and B fields?

And plz answer my second question : IF light contains both electric and magnetic fields then it should contain a charged particle otherwise how these fields will be created ?
Electromagnetic waves are self-sustaining. Changing electric fields will generate magnetic fields and visa versa.
ZealScience
Feb26-12, 06:36 AM
P: 351
Not exactly, the velocity of electron must change, in order to do that. Otherwise shifting to another inertial reference frame, you would see stationary electrons emitting EM waves, which violates the principle of relativity
jd12345
Feb26-12, 07:15 AM
questions keep popping in my mind. Electrons are accelerating in an atom too right? Do they emit EM waves?
ZealScience
Feb26-12, 07:18 AM
P: 351
Quote Quote by jd12345 View Post
questions keep popping in my mind. Electrons are accelerating in an atom too right? Do they emit EM waves?
That's the problem of Rutherford's model, where electrons emit EM waves and collapse to the nucleus. Therefore, quantum mechanics, which later modified the model of atoms denied that would happen under scale of electrons and nucleons.

Register to reply