Register to reply

Torsion on materials of variable cross section

by LessthanSane
Tags: torsion
Share this thread:
LessthanSane
Feb23-12, 10:28 PM
P: 1
New here, sorry if I'm in the wrong place or unclear, etc.

I've been looking at torsion on solid plates and the torsion constant. I was wondering how to handle the torsion constant on a plate of changing cross section (e.g. there are holes drilled in it, changing the area of the cross section and shape, leaving it without a uniform solidity) without doing an FEA (I might have access to something like solidworks simulation stuff in the future, but not at the moment).

Originally, I thought maybe too integrate along the length for the changing area, but that doesn't account for the shape.

Can anyone help me? Sorry if this is a dumb question.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Student develops filter for clean water around the world
Developing the next evolution in underwater communication
Compact vibration harvester power supply with highest efficiency opens door to "fix-and-forget" sensor nodes
nvn
Feb26-12, 04:25 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,121
I do not know if this would help you a little, but just in case. Post 3781736 (post 3) was made on the day after your post.

Register to reply