Register to reply

Quick Question Regarding the cost of Nuclear Reprocessing

by middlj
Tags: nuclear, reprocessing
Share this thread:
middlj
Jan11-12, 04:13 AM
P: 25
I personally advocate reprocessing, however I was wondering why UK and European companies do it even though it is admittedly not cost-effective.

Am I mistaken in believing that its not cost effective or do these companies reprocess for other reasons? Like a concern over the depletion of natural uranium resources?

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Wildfires and other burns play bigger role in climate change, professor finds
SR Labs research to expose BadUSB next week in Vegas
New study advances 'DNA revolution,' tells butterflies' evolutionary history
QuantumPion
Jan11-12, 03:09 PM
P: 768
Quote Quote by middlj View Post
I personally advocate reprocessing, however I was wondering why UK and European companies do it even though it is admittedly not cost-effective.

Am I mistaken in believing that its not cost effective or do these companies reprocess for other reasons? Like a concern over the depletion of natural uranium resources?

Thanks
Either it is required by law, it is government subsidized, or it is simply the most economic solution (i.e. other solutions are even more expensive)
zapperzero
Jan12-12, 11:02 AM
P: 1,042
Thanks
The UK has just shut down their Sellafield plant.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...?newsfeed=true

middlj
Jan12-12, 11:32 AM
P: 25
Quick Question Regarding the cost of Nuclear Reprocessing

Quote Quote by zapperzero View Post
The UK has just shut down their Sellafield plant.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...?newsfeed=true
The magnox and thermal oxide reprocessing plant are still active. With THORP planning on continuing for the foreseeable future.
Astronuc
Feb27-12, 06:18 AM
Admin
P: 21,827

Thanks
Most European nations do not have substantial indigenous deposits of Uranium. France lacks substantial energy resources. UK and Norway have the North Sea oil and gas, while Germany has substantial coal, and the Nordic countries have hydropower. Many nations are now looking at wind and solar power as alternatives to fossil fuel.

Recycling was developed as a way to recover unusued fuel material (U-238 and U-235) and recover fissile material, rather than disposing the resource in direct disposal repository.

Due to the nature of spent fuel (fission product and transuranics), reprocessing and fabrication of reprocessed fuel (usually MOX), must be done remotely. This greatly increases the cost.

http://world-nuclear.org/info/inf69.html

Register to reply