Why I doubt the generality of Gauss' law: A Gaussian sphere 1 light year across

by kmarinas86
Tags: doubt, gauss, gaussian, generality, light, sphere
Share this thread:
Matterwave
Feb26-12, 08:20 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,853
I guess my question, what does F being harmonic have to do with field lines? It seems to me that Stokes theorem is sufficient in both (empty space and continuous charge) cases to justify the use of field lines.
ARAVIND113122
Feb26-12, 11:39 PM
P: 54
i completely agree with kmarinas86. the field SHOULD continue to change for 1 year[approx].so far,none of the members have posted a convincing reason why it shouldn't.after all,information does take time to travel,and nothing happens instantaneously.once the charge is taken out of the sphere,the 'data' from the other side of the sphere would take time[almost 1 year] to reach the side that was initially closer to the charge
Ben Niehoff
Feb27-12, 12:41 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,594
Quote Quote by Matterwave View Post
I guess my question, what does F being harmonic have to do with field lines? It seems to me that Stokes theorem is sufficient in both (empty space and continuous charge) cases to justify the use of field lines.
You're right. Harmonic forms are special for other reasons that don't necessarily apply here.
DaleSpam
Feb27-12, 11:11 AM
Mentor
P: 17,344
Quote Quote by ARAVIND113122 View Post
i completely agree with kmarinas86. the field SHOULD continue to change for 1 year[approx].so far,none of the members have posted a convincing reason why it shouldn't.after all,information does take time to travel,and nothing happens instantaneously.once the charge is taken out of the sphere,the 'data' from the other side of the sphere would take time[almost 1 year] to reach the side that was initially closer to the charge
The Lienard Wiechert potential is the convincing reason. The LW potential depends only on the motion of the charge at the retarded time. So the field at the near side updates with ~1 ns delay and the field at the far side updates with ~1 year delay. The field does not change outside of the times as indicated above.

If you are not willing to accept standard solutions like the LW potential, then there is little that can or should be done to convince you.

Register to reply