Electric current is found when Menthos is put in Coca cola

by thinh123
Tags: coca, cola, current, electric, menthos
thinh123
Feb27-12, 12:33 AM
P: 1
Few years ago, we have known about the phenomenon that Coca cola is overflow severely when a piece of Menthos candy is put inside.

I replicate this experiment, with a multimeter is used to measure the current. With my surprise, the needle vibrates to show that an electric current is generated.

Could anyone repeat my experiment to find out that if I am wrong or not

Thank you
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Mapping the road to quantum gravity
Chameleon crystals could enable active camouflage (w/ video)
willem2
Feb27-12, 12:52 AM
P: 1,351
Quote Quote by thinh123 View Post
Few years ago, we have known about the phenomenon that Coca cola is overflow severely when a piece of Menthos candy is put inside.

I replicate this experiment, with a multimeter is used to measure the current. With my surprise, the needle vibrates to show that an electric current is generated.

Could anyone repeat my experiment to find out that if I am wrong or not

Thank you
I think a somewhat better description of what you did is needed. Where did you put the probes, what is the material of the probes, what is the range of the multimeter, etc.
NascentOxygen
Feb27-12, 02:05 AM
HW Helper
P: 4,716
Your observation is not unsurprising. Coke is acidic so will react with metal immersed in it. You expect to see a potential difference between immersed electrodes if there is a concentration difference in the electrolyte. The menthos reaction is unevenly distributed in the bottle, and as the reaction proceeds it causes a fluctuating difference in electrolyte concentrations near the electrodes.

When the reaction has ceased, does the current also appear to cease?

NascentOxygen
Feb28-12, 03:02 AM
HW Helper
P: 4,716

Electric current is found when Menthos is put in Coca cola

Quote Quote by NascentOxygen View Post
Your observation is not unsurprising.
Correcting my own post.

Register to reply