Mitt Romney's candidacy

by ThomasT
Tags: candidacy, mitt, romney
Share this thread:
skeptic2
Feb28-12, 12:27 PM
P: 1,810
Quote Quote by WhoWee View Post
Today is the big day in MI and AZ. Romney is not happy with the robo-calls attempting to attract Democrats to vote against him.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...gceR_blog.html

While not the dirtiest trick of all time - IMO - it might strengthen support for Romney with the Republican base.
If Republicans weren't so cheap as to put Obama's name on the ballot so they could get taxpayer funding, they wouldn't have to worry about crossover voting.
WhoWee
Feb28-12, 12:35 PM
P: 1,123
Quote Quote by skeptic2 View Post
If Republicans weren't so cheap as to put Obama's name on the ballot so they could get taxpayer funding, they wouldn't have to worry about crossover voting.
Can you please explain/support?
skeptic2
Feb28-12, 12:58 PM
P: 1,810
http://www.livingstondaily.com/artic...|breaking|art7
WhoWee
Feb28-12, 01:05 PM
How are the Republicans being "cheap"?
WhoWee
Feb28-12, 09:42 PM
Romney is the projected winner for both Arizona and Michigan.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/28/electi...ies/index.html

"Mitt Romney will win the Michigan primary, CNN projected based on exit polls and partial returns, giving him a sweep of two contests Tuesday vital to his campaign for the Republican presidential nomination.

Romney also is the winner in Arizona, according to the CNN projections, providing new momentum for the former Massachusetts governor in his bid to be the Republican candidate against President Barack Obama in November.

In Michigan, Romney was ahead with 41% to 37% for Rick Santorum, 12% for Texas Rep. Ron Paul and 7% for Newt Gingrich, with 74% of unofficial returns counted.

The state's 30 delegates will be allocated on a proportional basis, and Romney and Santorum each won three so far, according to the returns. However, it was unclear who would win the most Michigian delegates, which are based on congressional districts.

Romney's victory in Arizona, where exit polls showed him getting 43% to 28% for Santorum, gave Romney all of the state's 29 delegates in the winner-takes-all primary. Trailing well back were Gingrich and Paul."
grendle7
Feb28-12, 09:47 PM
P: 18
Quote Quote by daveb View Post
I know it's a knee-jerk reaction, but Romney sometimes reminds me of a used car salesman who's trying to sell me my own car.
ThomasT
Feb29-12, 02:57 AM
P: 1,414
Quote Quote by grendle7 View Post
The format you used for posting the video was incorrect. You can see the correct format by replying to this post (ie., hitting the "quote" button).

Anyway, yeah, imho, Romney is the Mittbot, the Ken doll, the wedding cake figurine, the used car salesman. Extremely good looking. He probably could have made a good living in soap operas, but a lot less money.

Acceptable candidate for the presidency? Not imho.
WhoWee
Feb29-12, 10:39 AM
Quote Quote by ThomasT View Post
Anyway, yeah, imho, Romney is the Mittbot, the Ken doll, the wedding cake figurine, the used car salesman. Extremely good looking. He probably could have made a good living in soap operas, but a lot less money.
Romney won the female vote in MI - didn't he?
ThomasT
Feb29-12, 10:47 AM
Romney won the female vote in MI - didn't he?
Don't know. But I wouldn't doubt it. Apparently, women are somewhat attracted to vacuous, but extremely good looking, male model types of guys who also have about $200M. I can't say that I would be any different if I were a woman.
WhoWee
Feb29-12, 11:09 AM
Don't know. But I wouldn't doubt it. Apparently, women are somewhat attracted to vacuous, but extremely good looking, male model types of guys who also have about $200M. I can't say that I would be any different if I were a woman.
I don't think women treat it as a beauty contest. However, might it be possible women view him as being more sophisticated and better equipped to deal with heads of state?
ThomasT
Feb29-12, 01:53 PM
If that were true, I'd expect Romney to be polling about 67%. If anything, I think women are generally more attentive to details and look at the whole package - rather than only the rhetoric or positions - I could be wrong?
Or, you could be right. This is a scary election. But then, aren't they all?
Char. Limit
Feb29-12, 04:14 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,951
I think that deciding that one arbitrary group of people is inherently better or worse at making decisions than another arbitrary, but mutually exclusive group of people is a blanket statement that should be avoided if at all possible.
ThomasT
Feb29-12, 08:30 PM
Quote Quote by Char. Limit View Post
I think that deciding that one arbitrary group of people is inherently better or worse at making decisions than another arbitrary, but mutually exclusive, group of people is a blanket statement that should be avoided if at all possible.
Good point, imho.
Back to Romney. My current opinion (it changes a lot, wrt lots of things): I really don't think he would, or could, do any real harm, and he might even get lucky and do something really good (ie., that precipitates some sort of major improvement in America). I think that Romney and Obama are the only candidates worthy of serious consideration. I make fun of Romney, but the bottom line is that he really does have his **** together. I very much doubt that he would make any sort of serious mistake. He's a business as usual guy. Prima facie, he would be an acceptable president. I might actually vote for him ... if I happen to be in experimental mode on election day.
WhoWee
Feb29-12, 08:40 PM
Good point, imho.
Back to Romney. My current opinion (it changes a lot, wrt lots of things): I really don't think he would, or could, do any real harm, and he might even get lucky and do something really good (ie., that precipitates some sort of major improvement in America). I think that Romney and Obama are the only candidates worthy of serious consideration. I make fun of Romney, but the bottom line is that he really does have his **** together. I very much doubt that he would make any sort of serious mistake. He's a business as usual guy. Prima facie, he would be an acceptable president. I might actually vote for him ... if I happen to be in experimental mode on election day.
The man has a track record of success. He has a mix of executive level experience in business, the Olympics, and as Governor (of a Democrat controlled state). A vote for Romney is quite reasonable.
apeiron
Feb29-12, 09:09 PM
PF Gold
P: 2,432
He's a business as usual guy.
Do presidents get any choice? Wasn't Obama sold as a mould-breaker who went straight into BAU-mode?

But the derivation of BAU is probably quite amusing.

"The maxim of the British people is 'Business as usual'." - Winston Churchill, speaking at Guildhall, 9 November 1914.
Crisis? What crisis?
WhoWee
Feb29-12, 09:28 PM
Business as usual can have several different meanings. IMO-President Obama owes a major share of his legislative accomplishments to Nancy Pelosi and Harry Reid - they controlled the House and Senate during his first 2 years.
ThomasT
Feb29-12, 11:07 PM
Quote Quote by apeiron View Post
Do presidents get any choice?
It depends, I think. For example, the Bush administration wasn't just BAU. It seems that it was extreme, to a fault, and that we'll be paying for it in one way or another, or many ways, for a long time.

I don't see Romney as an extremist. So, it's, imho, a coin toss between him and Obama at this time.
Hobin
Mar1-12, 05:46 AM
P: 194
I don't see Romney as an extremist. So, it's, imho, a coin toss between him and Obama at this time.
He may not be an extremist, but the people I know in my country definitely like him less than Obama (especially because of Romney's American exceptionalism). I don't know how it is elsewhere, of course, but diplomatically speaking, Obama would - in my opinion - be a better choice.

Register to reply