PF Random Thoughts

by protonchain
Tags: random
Share this thread:
WhoWee
Feb28-12, 06:00 PM
P: 1,123
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
There is a huge indirect customer that I've been trying to land as a direct customer for over a year now. I had hoped that I had enough of a foot in the door that my name would come up if they had need of a system's integrator. Finally, it did. So they called my cell phone instead of my main office line.

Because we are surrounded by trees and hills, my cell phone doesn't work in my office. I am usually diligent about checking it but almost everyone knows to call my office line first, so at times I forget to check for messages. Of course, they called last week and I never checked for messages until now. So after getting the opportunity I've been waiting for since January of last year, I missed the call and didn't call back for almost a week!!! Luckily it was no big deal. They have my email so I guess they might have tried that before moving on, but I know from experience that opportunities like this can be frightfully fleeting. Sometimes you only get one chance - one moment - and that's it. Truthfully, I nearly became ill when I realized I'd missed the call. I still feel like an idiot but it all worked out.

I once was on the other end of this problem. Someone else didn't answer their phone in time and I ended up with five years worth of work. This could easily lead to good work for the rest of my career.
Nothing wrong with playing hard to get around Valentines Day.

Sounds like you're on a roll - keep it moving and congrats again.
Biosyn
Feb28-12, 06:12 PM
P: 112
As with all flights off the ground, taking off is optional, landing is mandatory.
-Adam Savage

My new favorite quote from Mythbusters :P
Hobin
Feb28-12, 06:19 PM
P: 194
Whenever I see a quote, I have an irresistable urge to try to think of a situation where it doesn't apply. I really can't help myself.

So, errr, yeah, carry on.
Ivan Seeking
Feb28-12, 07:14 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,500
Quote Quote by turbo View Post
I probably had a leg-up in that respect. Your work appears to be much wider-ranging.
The R&D and troubleshooting work had me all over the board, which has been really cool, but a lot of that required travel, which I avoid at all costs now. This is a completely new line of work with a high-end global outfit that keeps me in the NW. So yes, these opportunities are pretty rare. The most surprising part is that my exposure had by far been greater at another facility. I didn't expect to hear from this site yet.

Quote Quote by WhoWee View Post
Sounds like you're on a roll - keep it moving and congrats again.
Thanks. This is all spin-off from the other project - one of the reasons I was so excited about the other project in the first place, it promised to open a few big doors. It's slow going but it all adds up.

I see you've been ripping things up in P&WA.
WhoWee
Feb28-12, 07:26 PM
P: 1,123
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
I see you've been ripping things up in P&WA.
What's that movie line - 'everytime I try to get out - they pull me back in'?
Ivan Seeking
Feb28-12, 07:29 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Let me take a moment to say how much I've been enjoying the primaries.
lisab
Feb28-12, 08:58 PM
Mentor
P: 2,985
I think you're thinking of, "I just can't quit you!"

Ivan Seeking
Feb29-12, 12:53 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by lisab View Post
I think you're thinking of, "I just can't quit you!"

How about

Course I already did.
Jimmy Snyder
Feb29-12, 11:01 AM
P: 2,179
Quote Quote by Borek View Post

I wonder what the sign says? It is in Hungarian, picture was taken in Tokaj, "bor" means wine. I am sure we have a Hungarian between regulars, don't we?
Good wine and tasty, if you taste this hole.
zoobyshoe
Feb29-12, 04:07 PM
P: 5,630
Quote Quote by Jimmy Snyder View Post
Good wine and tasty, if you taste this hole.
How many Hungarians did you have to embarrass to get that translation?
Astronuc
Feb29-12, 07:04 PM
Admin
P: 21,866
drizzle
Feb29-12, 07:16 PM
PF Gold
P: 525
Awwwwww

Astro, that belongs to the 'for kitten lovers' thread

P.S. Is it me or was it mumbling??
Astronuc
Feb29-12, 07:22 PM
Admin
P: 21,866
I think he was chatting in budgie, and occasionally whistling. I think he is communicating with the tennis ball.
drizzle
Feb29-12, 07:26 PM
PF Gold
P: 525
Haha, that's weird, cause I thought I could recognize some of it.
turbo
Feb29-12, 07:31 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
When I was in college, one of the cuties who rented the house across the street had a parakeet. His name was Baby. I had a key to their place and used to go over there to study away from the noise of the apartment building. I'd take him out of his cage and play with him, tapping my pencil on the kitchen table while he followed it, then tapping it on the top of his beak while he backed up. I had long hair then, and he loved sitting on my shoulder preening my hair. I taught him to wolf-whistle and to say his name. When Linda came home from classes, he'd get all worked up, land on a shoulder and start his wolf-whistle/Babeee! routine. As a solid feminist, she didn't appreciate that the first couple of times, but eventually she saw the humor in it.
Galteeth
Feb29-12, 07:42 PM
P: 320
http://www.popsci.com/science/articl...ser-study-says

A picture is worth a thousand words.
AlephZero
Feb29-12, 09:12 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 7,114
Quote Quote by Astronuc View Post
I think he was chatting in budgie, and occasionally whistling. I think he is communicating with the tennis ball.
I think he's trying to mate with it.
lisab
Feb29-12, 09:53 PM
Mentor
P: 2,985
Quote Quote by Astronuc View Post
Dang, he was cussing a blue streak! What a mouth beak that budgie has - he could make a sailor blush!

Register to reply