The number of lattice point in FCC???

by hermtm2
Tags: lattice, number, point
hermtm2
Mar4-12, 10:15 PM
P: 39
Hi, I am having a trouble to figure the number of lattie point in FCC structure out. My text book said simple cubic has 1 lattice point, BCC has 2 points, and FCC has 4 points. However there is no further explaination or figures. I am a kind of understand about the simple cubic structure since the atom on every corner is the lattice point.

Can you guys explain that how the lattice points in FCC and BCC are 4 and 2?

Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Researchers propose network-based evaluation tool to assess relief operations feasibility
Large streams of data warn cars, banks and oil drillers
Engineering student developing traffic forecasts
spf
Mar5-12, 06:37 AM
P: 17
Quote Quote by hermtm2 View Post
Hi, I am having a trouble to figure the number of lattie point in FCC structure out. My text book said simple cubic has 1 lattice point, BCC has 2 points, and FCC has 4 points. However there is no further explaination or figures. I am a kind of understand about the simple cubic structure since the atom on every corner is the lattice point.

Can you guys explain that how the lattice points in FCC and BCC are 4 and 2?

Thanks.
Atoms on the sides are shared between two unit cells, so you can only count each one as 1/2 atom. Atoms on the edges are shared four unit cells, so they count as 1/4 atoms. Atoms on the corners are shared between eight unit cells, so they count as 1/8 atoms. Do the numbers add up now?
hermtm2
Mar5-12, 07:43 AM
P: 39
So, one whole atom represents for one lattice point, right?

spf
Mar5-12, 08:01 AM
P: 17

The number of lattice point in FCC???

Quote Quote by hermtm2 View Post
So, one whole atom represents for one lattice point, right?
Yes. If you like, just replace "atom" by "lattice point" everywhere in my previous post.

Register to reply