Do chocolates have a melting point and what controls it?

• Thread starter waterfall
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Temperature
In summary: A 2003 report says that one of the chocolate’s ingredients, metylxantil helps to suppress the immune system, a situation that helps trigger the herpes virus."So how does metylxantil suppress immune system? Mechanism? What other substance? I'm sure something like this is true because whenever I eat many bars or large ones. I always get cough from throat problem, etc.
waterfall
Even though I have many kinds of brands of chocolates. When the weather is just 2 degrees Celsius hotter. They begin to melt. Can't they create chocolates that have more thresholds for "melting" (by melt is meant they became liquid like) and are very hard even at 33 degrees celsius? What substance inside controls the "melting" point for chocolates?

Physics news on Phys.org
It has to do with the amount of butter fat (milk chocolate) vs cocoa butter and solids.

Just put your chocolate in the refrigerator, and don't worry.

Astronuc said:
It has to do with the amount of butter fat (milk chocolate) vs cocoa butter and solids.

Just put your chocolate in the refrigerator, and don't worry.

It is put in car for emergency use. So which has more resistance for melting.. butter fat or cocoa butter? then I should look for combination with more of the substance that is more resistant for turning into liquid. Thanks.

Greg Bernhardt said:
I put my chocolate in the freezer, mmmmmmm!

There are freezers in the forests? Just kidding.. lol...

Well. Sometimes when we have many places to go or do. We don't have time for snacks. So we put chocolates in our pockets as fuel for our mitochondria.. but some melt faster. The round M&M seems more resistant... can someone confirm because it has more cocoa butter than butter fat? But both are butter.. do fats melt faster or slower?

Astronuc said:
Cacao butter = milk chocolate, did you mean butter vs cacao?. The fact that chocolate melts around body temperature makes it so tasty, I don't understand people who cool it before eating.

Monique said:
The fact that chocolate melts around body temperature makes it so tasty, I don't understand people who cool it before eating.
I don't understand people who don't. I'm with Greg on this. Put it in the freezer.

Monique said:
Cacao butter = milk chocolate, did you mean butter vs cacao?. The fact that chocolate melts around body temperature makes it so tasty, I don't understand people who cool it before eating.

This makes good sense. If they design chocolates to melt at 40-50 Celsius (I think by adding more ingredients this is possible). It won't melt in the mouth and won't be so tasty. About why one must cool it first before eating. Well. When you first feel frost and then liquid. Maybe this gives the unconscious feeling of snows and swimming so give more fun to the whole idea. I also love to eat them by first freezing them. Makes it lasts longer in the mouth so your tongue would be saturated with it for more lengthy period.

Unfortunately there seems to be a bad side effect of chocolates. I read it depresses immune system. What substance of chocolates do that and what's the mechanism of action? Whenever I eat a mouthfull. I always get throat or lung infection and cough for many weeks or months. So if someone can tell what part of chocolates does that and what category doesn't have those.. then I can take more chocolates at will. Thanks.

waterfall said:
This makes good sense. If they design chocolates to melt at 40-50 Celsius (I think by adding more ingredients this is possible). It won't melt in the mouth and won't be so tasty. About why one must cool it first before eating. Well. When you first feel frost and then liquid. Maybe this gives the unconscious feeling of snows and swimming so give more fun to the whole idea. I also love to eat them by first freezing them. Makes it lasts longer in the mouth so your tongue would be saturated with it for more lengthy period.

Unfortunately there seems to be a bad side effect of chocolates. I read it depresses immune system. What substance of chocolates do that and what's the mechanism of action? Whenever I eat a mouthfull. I always get throat or lung infection and cough for many weeks or months. So if someone can tell what part of chocolates does that and what category doesn't have those.. then I can take more chocolates at will. Thanks.

Lest someone thought I was spreading misinformation and get banned. Well. Here is one reference:

http://www.remediesforherpes.com/food-to-avoid-with-herpes.html

"A 2003 report says that one of the chocolate’s ingredients, metylxantil helps to suppress the immune system, a situation that helps trigger the herpes virus."

So how does metylxantil suppress immune system? Mechanism? What other substance? I'm sure something like this is true because whenever I eat many bars or large ones. I always get cough from throat problem, etc. No kidding. This is why I avoid chocolates although I really love them so much. So let's take this opportunity to scrutinize how chocolates exactly suppress the immune system.

1. What is the melting point of chocolate?

The melting point of chocolate can vary depending on the type of chocolate. Generally, milk chocolate has a melting point between 86°F and 90°F, while dark chocolate has a melting point between 90°F and 94°F.

2. Why does chocolate melt?

Chocolate melts because it contains cocoa butter, which has a low melting point. This means that at room temperature, the cocoa butter in chocolate is solid. When heated, the cocoa butter melts and causes the chocolate to become liquid.

3. Can chocolate melt at room temperature?

Yes, chocolate can melt at room temperature. As mentioned before, the melting point of chocolate is relatively low, so it can melt even at room temperature if the room is warm enough.

4. What factors can affect the melting point of chocolate?

The melting point of chocolate can be affected by several factors, including the type of chocolate (milk, dark, white), the quality of the chocolate, the amount of cocoa butter and other ingredients, and the processing methods used.

5. Is the melting point of chocolate the same for all types of chocolate?

No, the melting point of chocolate can vary depending on the type of chocolate. Milk chocolate has a lower melting point than dark chocolate, as it contains more sugar and less cocoa butter. White chocolate has the lowest melting point of all, as it contains no cocoa solids and is made mostly of cocoa butter and sugar.