Register to reply

Limits in infinite unions of sets

by clamtrox
Tags: infinite, limits, sets, unions
Share this thread:
clamtrox
Mar2-12, 08:36 AM
P: 939
Suppose I define sets [itex]D_n = \lbrace x \in [0,1] | [/itex] x has an n-digit long binary expansion [itex]\rbrace [/itex].

Now consider [itex]\bigcup_{n \in \mathbb{N}} D_n[/itex]. This is just the set of Dyadic rationals and therefore countable for sure.

Now for the question: is this equal to [itex]\bigcup_{n = 0}^{\infty} D_n[/itex]? Clearly we have [itex] D_1 \subset D_2 \subset ... \subset D_n [/itex] so I am tempted to think of this as [itex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} D_n [/itex]. If I am allowed to take the limit, then it would seem that [itex]\bigcup_{n = 0}^{\infty} D_n = [0,1][/itex]. Where am I doing a naughty physicist mistake?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
HallsofIvy
Mar2-12, 11:25 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,568
Quote Quote by clamtrox View Post
Suppose I define sets [itex]D_n = \lbrace x \in [0,1] | [/itex] x has an n-digit long binary expansion [itex]\rbrace [/itex].

Now consider [itex]\bigcup_{n \in \mathbb{N}} D_n[/itex]. This is just the set of Dyadic rationals and therefore countable for sure.

Now for the question: is this equal to [itex]\bigcup_{n = 0}^{\infty} D_n[/itex]? Clearly we have [itex] D_1 \subset D_2 \subset ... \subset D_n [/itex] so I am tempted to think of this as [itex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} D_n [/itex]. If I am allowed to take the limit, then it would seem that [itex]\bigcup_{n = 0}^{\infty} D_n = [0,1][/itex].
How do you conclude this? It looks to me like this would be the set of all numbers that have terminating decimal expansions which is a subset of the rational numbers in [0, 1].

Where am I doing a naughty physicist mistake?
SteveL27
Mar2-12, 12:25 PM
P: 800

Now for the question: is this equal to [itex]\bigcup_{n = 0}^{\infty} D_n[/itex]? Clearly we have [itex] D_1 \subset D_2 \subset ... \subset D_n [/itex] so I am tempted to think of this as [itex] \lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} D_n [/itex]. If I am allowed to take the limit, then it would seem that [itex]\bigcup_{n = 0}^{\infty} D_n = [0,1][/itex]. Where am I doing a naughty physicist mistake?
Which D_n contains .10101010...? In fact what you proved is that the set of rationals with terminating binary expansion is countable.

clamtrox
Mar6-12, 06:27 AM
Limits in infinite unions of sets

Let me rephrase this slightly: I can write any real number between 0 and 1 in binary expansion, and therefore
[itex] [0,1] = \lbrace x | x = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{a_n}{2^n}, a_n \in \lbrace0,1\rbrace \rbrace. [/itex]
Why am I not allowed to equate this with the union of sets
[itex] D_m = \lbrace x |x = \sum_{n=0}^{m} \frac{a_n}{2^n}, a_n \in \lbrace0,1\rbrace [/itex],
[itex] D = \bigcup_{m=0}^{\infty} D_m = \lim_{m\rightarrow \infty} D_m \neq [0,1] [/itex] ?
micromass
Mar6-12, 08:24 AM
Mentor
P: 18,334
Let me rephrase this slightly: I can write any real number between 0 and 1 in binary expansion, and therefore
[itex] [0,1] = \lbrace x | x = \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} \frac{a_n}{2^n}, a_n \in \lbrace0,1\rbrace \rbrace. [/itex]
Why am I not allowed to equate this with the union of sets
[itex] D_m = \lbrace x |x = \sum_{n=0}^{m} \frac{a_n}{2^n}, a_n \in \lbrace0,1\rbrace [/itex],
[itex] D = \bigcup_{m=0}^{\infty} D_m = \lim_{m\rightarrow \infty} D_m \neq [0,1] [/itex] ?
Again, which [itex]D_m[/itex] contains x=0.1010101010101010101... ???

Remember that x being in the union means that it is an element of one of the sets. So if [itex]x\in \bigcup D_n[/itex], then [itex]x\in D_n[/itex] for an n. Does there exist such an n?
clamtrox
Mar7-12, 07:33 AM
Quote Quote by micromass View Post
Again, which [itex]D_m[/itex] contains x=0.1010101010101010101... ???

Remember that x being in the union means that it is an element of one of the sets. So if [itex]x\in \bigcup D_n[/itex], then [itex]x\in D_n[/itex] for an n. Does there exist such an n?
Thanks, got it! :)

Register to reply