Speed of waves in a nonuniform wire

by MECP
Tags: nonuniform, tension, velocity, waves
Share this thread:
MECP
Mar7-12, 12:22 AM
P: 1
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A wire that is 7.75 m long and has a uniform density of 10.0 g/cm^3 is pulled to a tension of Ft=376 N. The wire, however, does not have a uniform thickness; rather, it varies uniformly from an initial radius of 1.0 mm to a final radius of 3.3 mm where is it attached to a wall. If you send a wave pulse down the length of the string, how long does it take to reach the wall?

2. Relevant equations
Volume=∫∏(0.001 + 2.97e-4 X)^2 dx
Alternately, Volume= (∏h/3)*(a^2 +ab + b^2) where a= 3.3 mm, b= 1 mm, h=7.75 m (This is the volume of a conical frustrum)
Velocity= √(Ft/μ)
μ=mass/length

3. The attempt at a solution

Using the equations for volume, I found that Vol=1.234*10^-4 m^3. Then I multiplied by 10,000 kg/m^3 to get the mass of the wire. I divided that number by 7.75 and then divided 376 by that number, then took the square root. (Using the velocity function). I found the velocity to be 48.62 m/s. Then I divided 7.75 m by 48.62 m/s to get the time, 0.159 seconds.

My question is- is it really that simple? I couldn't find much information on nonuniform wires. Does the velocity of the wave stay constant throughout the whole wire?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker

Register to reply