Are men with cats odd?

by FlexGunship
Tags: cats
Loren Booda
Feb29-12, 12:13 PM
P: 3,408
My cats purposely "lose" a toy under the refrigerator, low furniture etc., then somehow extricate most of it with a looong clawed reach. One of these days I will have to retrieve their lost booty and start the cycle again.
ThomasT
Feb29-12, 12:46 PM
P: 1,414
I really like cats. The thing is you can let them wander around (they always come back to eat), they don't require a lot of affection/attention like dogs do, and they don't eat that much. What's not to like? In fact, though lots of people don't think so, if you put enough time in, and do it the right way, you can actually train cats to do stuff. Maybe not to the extent of dogs, but still ... stuff.

Do I have any cats? No.

I'm sorry, what was the OP? Oh yeah ... are men with cats odd? Hmmm. Well, in my experience I would have to say yes. Not necessarily in a socially unacceptable, or even readily noticeable, way. But a rather deep-seated oddness ... yes, I think so.

Just kidding ... really ... I was.
FlexGunship
Feb29-12, 01:14 PM
PF Gold
P: 735
Quote Quote by Moonbear View Post
She thought the printer was fun to play with and appeared with black printer ink all over her paws, she has long hair, so had some litterbox issues until I figured out just how much butt fur to trim, etc. So she had a lot of baths as a kitten. She now calmly accepts the bath and doesn't use my arm as a ladder to the top of my head to escape the water, but still hates the brushing and blowdrying afterward.
We had a "messy" tail incident. So I dunked her in a warm bath. I don't own a blowdryer, but I towel dried her as best I could and let her sit in front of my little electric heater.

Last night I pulled apart my server rack and re-ran all of the cables for my gaming computer, my audio work station, and related hardware. I must've had 100 cables of varying purpose and size on the floor.

She about lost her little kitty mind.

She knows shes not supposed to play with them, and she resisted for a while... a good... uh, six minutes, or so. When she went for the first swipe I snapped my fingers (something I've trained her to associate with being sprayed with water) and she sat on the computer chair for the next hour... just watching me... her head darting back and forth, eyes wide with a mix of excitement, terror, and hopeless intrigue. I gave her a treat every few minutes that she sat still in the chair and things went well.

Then I went to bed...

...for half an hour I could hear her exploring the area, trying to find one left over cable. I could hear her lightly scratching the server rack and running around.
drizzle
Feb29-12, 01:30 PM
PF Gold
P: 521
Pixel Pixel Pixel!! She seems very happy and cute
ThomasT
Feb29-12, 01:37 PM
Quote Quote by FlexGunship View Post
We had a "messy" tail incident. So I dunked her in a warm bath. I don't own a blowdryer, but I towel dried her as best I could and let her sit in front of my little electric heater.

Last night I pulled apart my server rack and re-ran all of the cables for my gaming computer, my audio work station, and related hardware. I must've had 100 cables of varying purpose and size on the floor.

She knows shes not supposed to play with them, and she resisted for a while... a good... uh, six minutes, or so. When she went for the first swipe I snapped my fingers (something I've trained her to associate with being sprayed with water) and she sat on the computer chair for the next hour... just watching me... her head darting back and forth, eyes wide with a mix of excitement, terror, and hopeless intrigue. I gave her a treat every few minutes that she sat still in the chair and things went well.

Then I went to bed...

...for half an hour I could hear her exploring the area, trying to find one left over cable. I could hear her lightly scratching the server rack and running around.
Sounds like you have things under control. Myself, I just keep them outside most of the time. Not that I currently have any cats. If they feel like coming back for food, fine. If not, fine.

I should note that I, and my assorted girlfriends, have had many cats over the years. I do not keep and maintain litter boxes. My cats do not, under any circumstances, poop or pee inside the house. "Tail accidents" are their problem. They're staying outside. But I give them lots of food and water and they seem to appreciate that.
alan2
Feb29-12, 01:41 PM
P: 188
I know it's an old thread but I couldn't resist the title. Of course we are odd, and confident in our oddity. But you do need two cats, they come in pairs.

FlexGunship
Feb29-12, 02:57 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by ThomasT View Post
Myself, I just keep them outside most of the time. Not that I currently have any cats.
For a guy who has no cats you sure seem to have a lot of cats.
rhody
Feb29-12, 02:59 PM
PF Gold
P: 765
Flex,

Glad to see the shiny side is still up, and well, shiny.

Rhody...
ThomasT
Feb29-12, 08:40 PM
For a guy who has no cats you sure seem to have a lot of cats.
Yes, apparently I've confused myself again. Did you go away for a while or something? If so, welcome back. Sounds like you're getting on well with your cat(s). I actually have almost always had some sort of animal around. Cats, dogs, the occasional human, etc. Currently my girlfriend has the cats at her place. She likes them and it's probably a bit safer there ... less auto traffic on her street.
Loren Booda
Feb29-12, 11:39 PM
P: 3,408
If your cat were a chronic crier, what would you do to tame him?
FlexGunship
Mar1-12, 08:10 AM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Loren Booda View Post
If your cat were a chronic crier, what would you do to tame him?

No more tears, pussy.

Edit: please process the joke completely before lodging infractions against me.
CaptFirePanda
Mar2-12, 12:23 AM
P: 27
Best cat ever:

Ivan Seeking
Mar2-12, 12:44 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,493

Right now I have a 220/240VAC AB servo system on my desk - not in an enclosure or even finger safe [at first], wired just for bench-top testing in my office by me. Of course, Little Tyke decided it was time to play. I think all of the blinking lights were too much for her. But after a few corrections she decided to leave things alone. She seems to sense the seriousness of the situation through the tone of my voice, and decided to cooperate.

I made sure things were all finger-safe, but finger-safe isn't paw-safe [Paw-safe is a NEMA 1.P rating]. At least now I can take her up to the house if I need to have a HV panel open for testing. This situation is mangeable, but when I have things spread out it can get pretty dangerous down here for a kitty. And in the past I couldn't leave her up in the house alone with Big Bad Jack.
moejoe15
Mar2-12, 06:37 AM
P: 39
I read some dating advice once. It said that one of the first questions you should ask a prospective mate is "Cats or dogs?"

Yes it's weird to own a cat, just ask any cat hater. Don't expect an intelligent answer though. People who hate cats are uniformly single or double digit IQ's, have very little skin showing on their foreheads, usually have to shave between their eyebrow and are probably republican.
20Tauri
Mar7-12, 09:32 PM
P: 177
Um, yeah, the girls-as-pets joke really isn't funny. It strikes me as kind of sexist. But anyway, no, why would it be weird for a guy to have a cat? I would actually think it was cute if a guy had a cat.

Don't get your cat declawed if you get one, though! It's not like trimming their nails or something, it's actually cutting off the ends of their toes!
netgypsy
Mar7-12, 09:36 PM
P: 239
Declawing is terrible. You can buy little booties and also claw covers for cats but it's a lot easier to start cutting the nails when you first get them and give them a treat during and after but never cut too short or they will NOT FORGIVE YOU.

Register to reply