PF Random Thoughts

by protonchain
Tags: random
Share this thread:
Char. Limit
Mar8-12, 12:21 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,945
No, I'm not joking. It deeply saddens and shames me to say that since I'm failing a class (Physics II, yeah, I know, I'm a real dumbass right?), I'm not eligible for financial aid, and neither I nor my parents have the spare cash to spend it ourselves, so I'm dropping out of college. That is that.

Now if you will excuse me, I shall go commit seppuku.
Borek
Mar8-12, 02:08 AM
Admin
P: 23,397
Sigh. Unbelievable.
Borg
Mar8-12, 04:01 AM
PF Gold
P: 759
Quote Quote by Char. Limit View Post
No, I'm not joking. It deeply saddens and shames me to say that since I'm failing a class (Physics II, yeah, I know, I'm a real dumbass right?), I'm not eligible for financial aid, and neither I nor my parents have the spare cash to spend it ourselves, so I'm dropping out of college. That is that.

Sorry to hear that Char. No, you're not a dumbass. I hope that you'll be able to save up enough to return. Keep studying while you're out and I'm sure that you'll pass it when you do return.
Jimmy Snyder
Mar8-12, 06:32 AM
P: 2,179
Proponents of Anthropogenic Solar Warming (ASW) were encouraged by signs that solar flares will be striking Kansas soon and will end all human life. Women and minorities will be hardest hit. Experts point out that before the industrial revolution, there were no solar flares that wiped out the human race. They also point to the recent increase in solar probes as compared to historical averages. So shame on humans, shame.

Solar Flares considered bad
lisab
Mar8-12, 07:53 AM
Mentor
P: 2,978

Don't give up. It's a speed bump, a temporary detour. You will find a way back - seriously. But for now, try not to beat yourself up.
rootX
Mar8-12, 09:21 AM
P: 1,294
Thanks everyone

Quote Quote by rhody View Post
P.S. At least now you won't need to start a pepper business to lead to your retirement years, lol.
.. or I can start not-for-profit pepper business and spread pepper love
drizzle
Mar8-12, 09:36 AM
PF Gold
P: 525

Sigh. As Borg said, keep studying, and don't let go your goals.
turbo
Mar8-12, 09:52 AM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Hang in there, Char. Can you re-take Physics II over the summer and start over at your school next fall? You'll need to talk to your school's financial aid officer to see if they can start helping financially if you satisfy that requirement. Good luck!
Ivan Seeking
Mar8-12, 10:45 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,498
Char, while I understand this is a tough blow, it's not the end. Whether you fail, or just suffer a setback, is up to you.

Just as I started the 2nd quarter of my junior year, I was hit with health problems that forced me to drop out for almost a year. This was after moving to Oregon, which had already set me back a good part of another year because OSU decided to reject credits UCLA considered fully transferable, which of course OSU didn't tell me until we had already moved.

Because of our location, I had to work a humiliating job at a local business [a vacuum cleaner shop] to make the tuition payments, while attending school as many hours each quarter as I could. This was after leaving a well-paying and respectable career working on CAT Scanners and MRI units, in order to return to school.

Trust me: Failing, or not, is entirely up to you.
micromass
Mar8-12, 10:49 AM
Mentor
P: 18,072

Just keep going. Study long and hard. You'll get there eventually.
There is a forum here filled with smart people who love to help you. Use us!! (well not me since I know nothing of physics).
Evo
Mar8-12, 10:54 AM
Mentor
P: 26,482

Don't be down on yourself. Evo Child dropped out of school for awhile after switching her major 3 times. She decided to wait until she figured out what she really wanted to do before going back. She'll be going for her PhD next year. Taking time off from school isn't the end. Keep studying and working and you'll get back on track, you're extremely sharp and things will work out for you.
fluidistic
Mar8-12, 11:12 AM
PF Gold
P: 3,188
Thanks guys, I'm enjoying my short holidays without any stress.
Char, I'd listen to Evo's tips. :) Good luck.
Char. Limit
Mar8-12, 11:56 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,945
The outpouring of support here is incredible. Suddenly I don't feel so depressed anymore.
Borek
Mar8-12, 12:41 PM
Admin
P: 23,397
The outpouring of support here is incredible. Suddenly I don't feel so depressed anymore.
Good. Time to get back to work.
turbo
Mar8-12, 12:48 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by Borek View Post
Good. Time to get back to work.
Yep! Still got your books, I hope. If so you might consider working through the text from cover to cover, working out the problems. If you have questions, you can bring them here and get some guidance. Hopefully, people will treat your questions as homework problems and steer you in the right direction instead of giving you explicit instruction or (horrors!) actually providing you with the answers. You will learn and retain much more if you are guided gently and are allowed to work through the problems on your own.
collinsmark
Mar8-12, 03:21 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 1,925
Char, If the class isn't actually over yet, don't give up now.

For what it's worth, when I took Engineering Physics II, my recitation instructor would hand us back the tests (usually a few days after the tests were taken). He would also give us the breakdown of the grades: a histogram of how many students fell into a percentage bin, e.g., 0-10%, 11-20%, etc. It's possible that not all recitation instructors did this. It was not uncommon, when I took the class, for more students to receive under 30% than over 70% on any given test. Many (most?) students were were convinced they were failing. But at the end of the course, presumably due to a curve, students received better grades than they thought they were going to.

If it is over, don't give up either. As others here have mentioned, there are ways to go on if you persevere.
collinsmark
Mar8-12, 03:31 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 1,925
On a different note, the first thing I did after getting out of bed this morning was vomit. I think it was either the fish or the chicken leftovers that I ate last night. [Edit: btw, how many weeks do chicken or fish leftovers keep if left in the fridge?]

About a half hour later, I had one of those ophthalmic migraines, just like the one Evo describes here:
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=71816
It was the first one that I've had to my recollection (at least the first one that level of vividness/noticeableness).

It looked just like this:

except the zigzag pattern in the crescent was constantly moving and changing (and colorful too!). And replace the farm with a cup of coffee.

I'm really glad I read those ophthalmic migraine threads here on PF, otherwise I would have been pretty freaked out.
lisab
Mar8-12, 03:37 PM
Mentor
P: 2,978
To Char (and anyone else in his position):

Register to reply