Circular motion: Car driving along a circular hill

by Acid92
Tags: circular, driving, hill, motion
Share this thread:
Acid92
Mar8-12, 03:34 PM
P: 42
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A car of mass m is travelling along a circular hill of radius r with a constant speed v, write an expression for the force "on the car from the hill" when the car is at the top of the hill

2. Relevant equations
F (weight) = mg
F (centripetal) = mv^2 /r

3. The attempt at a solution
I think the force on the car from the hill is the normal to the car which at the top of the hill seems to me to be mg. The actual answer is F = mg - (mv^2)/r, I cant seem to figure out how theyve come to this.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Mysterious source of ozone-depleting chemical baffles NASA
Water leads to chemical that gunks up biofuels production
How lizards regenerate their tails: Researchers discover genetic 'recipe'
Doc Al
Mar8-12, 03:58 PM
Mentor
P: 41,438
Quote Quote by Acid92 View Post
I think the force on the car from the hill is the normal to the car which at the top of the hill seems to me to be mg. The actual answer is F = mg - (mv^2)/r, I cant seem to figure out how theyve come to this.
The normal force at the top of the hill would equal mg if there were no acceleration. But there is acceleration, so apply Newton's 2nd law to figure out the normal force.
Acid92
Mar8-12, 04:13 PM
P: 42
Quote Quote by Doc Al View Post
The normal force at the top of the hill would equal mg if there were no acceleration. But there is acceleration, so apply Newton's 2nd law to figure out the normal force.
Ah right, I forgot that there would be a centripetal acceleration even when the car is at the top of the hill, thanks!

mg - normal = ma = m(v^2 /r)
normal = mg =(mv^2)/r

Register to reply