PI Control Resources: Best Books, Websites & More

In summary: The bilinear z transform is a great way to transition from an analog controller+plant feedback system to a digital one.
mdjensen22
Does anybody know of any good resources they can point me to for implementing PI control in an embedded system? I'm not necessarily looking for PID control - just PI.

Books, websites, etc. - any suggestions are welcome.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Use Google or Google Scholar

You need to understand feedback control theory, and then you can shift into the z domain for your emebedded system application. You have a different set of criteria for stability that is the digital versions of your analog controller criteria (you need to be within the unit circle of your z-domain pole zero plot). Your sampling period determines your criteria, and it is a compromise between stability and computation/number precision. You will need to come up with z domain equivalents of your plant system transfer function and your controller's transfer function, and then the z domain transfer function easily synthesize into a very simple 1 code line equation, since its basically a digital filter.

I can suggest the book: feedback control systems by phillips and harbour and also the book: signals and systems continuous and discrete by ziemer, tranter, and fannin.

chrischak - if only I had thought of searching google first...
:rolleyes:

I wanted to get recommendations from those who use these systems regularly as to what they find to be the most insightful resources. Google is just the shotgun approach.

Thank you DragonPetter.
I am relatively familiar with feedback control theory, but I haven't put any PI/PID systems into practice in quite a while.
Thank you for the recommended literature. It is much appreciated.

mdjensen22 said:
chrischak - if only I had thought of searching google first...
:rolleyes:

I wanted to get recommendations from those who use these systems regularly as to what they find to be the most insightful resources. Google is just the shotgun approach.

Thank you DragonPetter.
I am relatively familiar with feedback control theory, but I haven't put any PI/PID systems into practice in quite a while.
Thank you for the recommended literature. It is much appreciated.

Since you are already familiar with feedback control theory, you might just want to read about the bilinear z transform. This is the step you take to get from an analog controller+plant feedback system to a digital one.

It is pretty much the exact same approach as a digital filter, except now you are held to other criteria to ensure it is stable.

1. What is PI control and why is it important in scientific research?

PI control, or proportional-integral control, is a method used in engineering and research to control systems and processes. It involves using a proportional and integral controller to adjust a system's output based on the difference between the desired setpoint and the measured output. PI control is important because it allows for precise control and stability of complex systems, making it a valuable tool in scientific research and experimentation.

2. What are some of the best books on PI control?

Some highly recommended books on PI control include "PID Controllers: Theory, Design, and Tuning" by Karl J. Astrom and Tore Hagglund, "Feedback Control Problems Using MATLAB and the Control System Toolbox" by Dean K. Frederick, and "Control System Design Guide: Using Your Computer to Develop and Diagnose Feedback Controllers" by George Ellis.

3. Are there any websites that provide useful resources for learning about PI control?

Yes, there are several websites that offer helpful resources for learning about PI control. Some recommended sites include Control Guru (controlguru.com), Control Engineering (controleng.com), and Electronics Hub (electronicshub.org). These sites offer articles, tutorials, and other educational materials on PI control and related topics.

4. What are some common challenges with implementing PI control?

One common challenge with implementing PI control is tuning the controller parameters for optimal performance. This requires a good understanding of the system dynamics and careful adjustment of the proportional and integral gains. Another challenge is dealing with disturbances and noise in the system, which can affect the accuracy and stability of the control process.

5. Can you recommend any online courses for learning about PI control?

Yes, there are many online courses available for learning about PI control, including "Fundamentals of PID Control" on Coursera, "Introduction to Proportional Integral Derivative (PID) Control" on Udemy, and "PID Control with Arduino" on Skillshare. These courses offer a mix of theory and practical applications, making them valuable resources for those looking to learn about PI control.