by protonchain
Tags: random
Share this thread:
Evo
Mar8-12, 03:45 PM
Mentor
P: 26,460
Quote Quote by collinsmark View Post
On a different note, the first thing I did after getting out of bed this morning was vomit. I think it was either the fish or the chicken leftovers that I ate last night. [Edit: btw, how many weeks do chicken or fish leftovers keep if left in the fridge?]

About a half hour later, I had one of those ophthalmic migraines, just like the one Evo describes here:
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=71816
It was the first one that I've had to my recollection (at least the first one that level of vividness/noticeableness).

It looked just like this:

except the zigzag pattern in the crescent was constantly moving and changing (and colorful too!). And replace the farm with a cup of coffee.

I'm really glad I read those ophthalmic migraine threads here on PF, otherwise I would have been pretty freaked out.
Congrats! It's fascinating, isn't it? I've had a total of three now. But they stopped a few years ago. Recently I had a hot pink fillagree circle in my left eye and perfectly uniform purple squares in my right eye, and at the same time. I can find NO explanations for these. My doctor just looked at me like I was crazy. :(
Hobin
Mar8-12, 03:50 PM
P: 194
Quote Quote by collinsmark View Post
btw, how many weeks do chicken or fish leftovers keep if left in the fridge?
Weeks!? No wonder you might've gotten food poisoning! :/
Jimmy Snyder
Mar8-12, 05:03 PM
P: 2,179
Pink slime might be ok to eat, but the fact that McDonald's won't use it is not the best testimonial for it.

7,000,000 lbs of pink slime in your child's school lunch.
netgypsy
Mar8-12, 08:37 PM
P: 239
We had pink slime in our school drinking water once. Disgusting.

Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Congrats! It's fascinating, isn't it? I've had a total of three now. But they stopped a few years ago. Recently I had a hot pink fillagree circle in my left eye and perfectly uniform purple squares in my right eye, and at the same time. I can find NO explanations for these. My doctor just looked at me like I was crazy. :(
A friend had purple spots when his brain was low on oxygen and he was about to faint. Try propping your feet up if it happens again and see if they go away. His would go away fairly quickly if he put his feet up on a table or on on the dash in the car.

The aura is supposed to be when the blood vessels over expand which is why you get the pounding. When we had no caffeinated drink available we chewed half a nodoz caffeine tablet immediately and it killed them. If it doesn't I'd get an MRI.

It doesn't surprise me that the doctor gave you a weird look. Get a male friend to go in with the same symptoms and see how quickly they order an MRI. Two family members tried this. They had him in for diagnostics and just said "Oh isn't that interesting" to her. Exactly the same problem for both of them. They also called him MR. and her by her first name (both of them the same age).

Regarding how long things remain edible in the frig - I always go by the "green and fuzzy" rule and the bad odor rule and the "it just don't look right" rule, but I really nuke anything I have any suspicion at all about. You're usually more likely to get sick from raw meats on a cutting board inadequately cleaned and later used for raw veggies and from your kitchen sponge being used on a cutting board. Supposedly if you nuke your wet sponge every week for a minute it kills the critters in it. Yoghurt and the bacteria pills also are supposed to prevent and minimize GI upsets. Have to look for some studies on them.

The worst thing I ever got in the US was caused by splashing raw chicken liquids in my eye. It turned beet red almost immediately, and by the next day I had all the full blown flu symptoms and was sick for nearly a month. I now put any raw meat in the sink, wear glasses and rinse and rinse and I've even sprayed meat with dilute clorox and rinsed it. I was soooo sick after that juice in the eye - NEVER again if I can help it.
lisab
Mar8-12, 10:40 PM
Mentor
P: 2,976
http://imgur.com/a/XHf0Z

This really explains a lot.
Evo
Mar8-12, 10:57 PM
Mentor
P: 26,460
Quote Quote by lisab View Post

Love it!!
rootX
Mar8-12, 11:14 PM
P: 1,294
Quote Quote by lisab View Post

OmCheeto
Mar8-12, 11:57 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,420
Quote Quote by Char. Limit View Post
The outpouring of support here is incredible. Suddenly I don't feel so depressed anymore.
I failed physics III, 3 times.
Then I discovered that it was the instructors fault.
He was French, with a thick accent, sounded like Jerry Lewis(google it), and younger than I was.

Oh, never mind the googling. (found it!) Imagine listening to the following for 3 months, only you can't understand a freakin' word the guy was saying.

The next instructor, not sounding like a French Jerry Lewis type person, made me not want to poke ice picks into my head whilst listening to the lectures, and I got an A.

if you try, you get what you need, [eventually]
Ivan Seeking
Mar9-12, 11:52 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 12,497
Waiting waiting waiting... a big meeting is about to start where I may or may not be needed. So I have to be on call for a conference call. While in principle I could do something while I'm waiting, I've learned over the years that it's best not to get mentally involved in another problem. It takes me a few minutes to change gears, which is bad when suddenly conferenced in with a group. So I just sit and wait to see if the phone rings while reviewing the related schematics, diagrams, and notes.

I think this is what Catholics mean when they talk about limbo. But it beats flying to Seattle for a one-hour meeting where I may not even be needed.
zoobyshoe
Mar9-12, 02:53 PM
P: 5,625
Quote Quote by Ivan Seeking View Post
I think this is what Catholics mean when they talk about limbo.
It's certainly not what Caribbeans mean when they talk about limbo.
turbo
Mar9-12, 02:58 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,363
Quote Quote by zoobyshoe View Post
It's certainly not what Caribbeans mean when they talk about limbo.
How low can you go?
Jimmy Snyder
Mar9-12, 04:58 PM
P: 2,179
Camping now claims that the world did not end on Oct 21 as planned. Although, given his track record, I wouldn't be so sure.

Yahoo news
Ivan Seeking
Mar9-12, 06:53 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by turbo View Post
How low can you go?
Catholics can limbo forever. In fact, they have no choice.
Hobin
Mar9-12, 06:55 PM
P: 194
Needles are evil. As are dentists.
Ivan Seeking
Mar9-12, 07:26 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Hobin View Post
Needles are evil. As are dentists.
Needles don't poke people. Dentists do.
rootX
Mar9-12, 08:04 PM
P: 1,294
I am scared of needles, dentists, doctors, and nurses too.
zoobyshoe
Mar10-12, 04:21 AM
P: 5,625
I just discovered there's a whole slew of YouTubes of British people trying to do American accents:

Americans are always trying to do British accents, but I didn't think it ever went the other way.
Borek
Mar10-12, 05:17 AM
Admin
P: 23,372
Speaking about accent.

Don't ask me about a meaning of the word he repeats most often, I don't want to get banned. I am sure this guy doesn't speak much differently in Polish.

Register to reply