Classical solution of PDE with mixed boundary conditions

by A. Neumaier
Tags: boundary, classical, conditions, mixed, solution
Share this thread:
A. Neumaier
Feb29-12, 09:21 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,943
Nowadays people usually consider PDEs in weak formulations only, so I have a hard time finding statements about the existence of classical solutions of the Poisson equation with mixed Dirichlet-Neumann boundary conditions.

Maybe someone here can help me and point to a book or article where I can find sufficient conditions on the right hand side that guarantee the existence of a C^2 solution.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Law changed to allow 'unlocking' cellphones
Microsoft sues Samsung alleging contract breach
Best evidence yet for coronal heating theory detected by NASA sounding rocket
HallsofIvy
Mar1-12, 07:30 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,363
A google search on "Dirichlet-Neumann conditions" turn up this:
http://www.math.osu.edu/~gerlach.1/m...t/node142.html
A. Neumaier
Mar1-12, 09:14 AM
Sci Advisor
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
A google search on "Dirichlet-Neumann conditions" turn up this:
http://www.math.osu.edu/~gerlach.1/m...t/node142.html
Thanks. But this only mentions the definition of these boundary conditions. It doesn't give existence conditions for it (but for the Cauchy problem).

I did an extended Google search before I posed the question here, and found nothing useful.

Andy Resnick
Mar1-12, 02:34 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 5,513
Classical solution of PDE with mixed boundary conditions

There's a short section in Polyanin's handbook "Linear Partial Differential Equations" covering this case, but it does not appear to be available online. I'm not sure if the material there answers your question.
A. Neumaier
Mar2-12, 11:41 AM
Sci Advisor
Quote Quote by Andy Resnick View Post
There's a short section in Polyanin's handbook "Linear Partial Differential Equations" covering this case, but it does not appear to be available online. I'm not sure if the material there answers your question.
Thanks. I need to get the book from the library.
A. Neumaier
Mar9-12, 12:12 PM
Sci Advisor
Quote Quote by Andy Resnick View Post
It is online at
http://sharif.edu/~asghari/Handbook%...20Polyanin.pdf

Section 7.2 is about the Poisson equation, but it concentrates on specific solutions for nice domains. No existence results.

Register to reply