Register to reply

Motion in circles mechanical engineering

Share this thread:
study12
Mar7-12, 08:03 PM
P: 1
first time guys.
i have a disc with a bearing and a shaft through it. the disc is rotating in simple harmonic motion with a dynamic force of 14400N and speed of 2.43 rpm. i need to use electromagnets to stop this disc from rotating.
questions.
-where or can can i get electromagnets to stop 14400N . the max i have found is just 1000N
- what calculations do i need to consider in calculating magnetic field resistance.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
King Richard III died painfully on battlefield
Capturing ancient Maya sites from both a rat's and a 'bat's eye view'
OldEngr63
Mar8-12, 07:27 PM
P: 343
What do you mean when you say that the disk is rotating with SHM? Is it rotating, or is it translating side to side? Is the 14400 N an oscillating force, or is it steady?

Can you provide a sketch of the situation? This would probably help a lot. Please specify the materials for the parts also.
jehan60188
Mar10-12, 11:34 AM
P: 204
what is providing that 14400 N of force (I'm assuming that is centripetal force?)
If you stop that source, the disk will eventually stop due to friction with the bearings, and the air.
Applying an extra 1000 N of force will assist with that deceleration.
can you chain the magnets together? have one magnet on one side, and another magnet on the other side?

Register to reply