My potential supervisor is SO hot

by nucleargirl
Tags: potential, supervisor
Share this thread:
Borek
Mar13-12, 02:20 PM
Admin
P: 23,701
Oh come on, now you are just whining. Stop it and focus on what you are expected to be doing.
chiro
Mar13-12, 08:04 PM
P: 4,575
Quote Quote by nucleargirl View Post
I suppose it wasn't such a great idea... I guess I just made life really difficult for myself by choosing this project. Its so hard to feel OK when I'm there.
I feel so stupid!
like everything I do is stupid!
I don't know...
I don't like this.
Why!!!!!
its so pathetic.

SOOOO pathetic!!!!

I don't want to make it obvious, but I think everything I do and say is making it more than obvious. I can't even hide it.
I've tried to not feel this way. I need to try harder. Cut it out!
What am I thinking? Do I really think there is a possibility? Is there a future to this? What am I looking for? What am I doing?!!! It makes no sense!!!!! I feel like everyone who can see is seeing everything. And they either feel sorry for me or they are having a lot of fun watching me. I have to focus. I lost my focus today.
Focus on my work. But its so difficult when he comes into the room!

I need to lighten up. too much stress lately.
Just to put things into perspective, I'm sure you will find that we all have done things in some way or another that is similar to your story.

I've made a fool of myself in the past so many times that I tend to not really worry about it anymore. You just get to the point where you laugh at yourself and move on, and if the experience was painful in some way, you tend not to do it again.

You know, in a way I think it's good that people like you and me go through stuff like this: people are afraid to look stupid but the thing is that in the end it doesn't really matter and soon enough people will move on: we all do.

Just keep your head up high, because when this happens again you'll have an advantage that a lot of people won't have: you'll be able to deal with it effectively over those who are afraid to take a risk or two and worry about what everyone thinks to a point where they become paralyzed.
mathwonk
Mar14-12, 09:09 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,495
i suggest you transfer advisors.
nucleargirl
Mar15-12, 04:20 PM
P: 126
he smiled at me today... :))))))
CaptFirePanda
Mar15-12, 04:28 PM
P: 27
He's plotting something nefarious.
nucleargirl
Mar15-12, 05:45 PM
can't be... he looks so kind when he smiles!
Jack21222
Mar18-12, 02:56 PM
P: 772
Somebody in this thread really likes being the center of attention...
netgypsy
Mar18-12, 06:24 PM
P: 239
And somebody in this thread is unnecessarily judgmental.
nucleargirl
Mar19-12, 04:56 PM
we all like to be at the centre of attention. its ok :)
Choppy
Apr7-12, 03:34 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,740
I know the last update to this thread was a few weeks ago, but having skimmed through the posts I'm not sure anyone has pointed out that even if this supervisor had a reciprocated interest in Nucleargirl, he CAN'T act on it.

He CAN'T flirt with you.

He CAN'T pursue a relationship (beyond student-supervisor) with you.

He CAN'T treat you any different than he would any of his other students.

If he does, he's placing his career at risk, he's potentially breaking the law, he's opening himself up to a civil lawsuit, and perhaps most importantly, he's morally putting himself at the advantage of a power differential.

Note that I'm not saying that student-supervisor relationships never happen, nor am I saying that when they do happen they are always the result of malicious intent. From his point of view, however, this is a very dangerous game with serious consequences.

My advice: if you really like the guy just wait until you're no longer a student and then ask him out.
mathwonk
Apr10-12, 11:50 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 9,495
To put it another way, it has been noticed that supervisors do not always look as hot after they are no longer supervisors.
gentryliving
Apr11-12, 10:35 PM
P: 4
You are more interested on the person not the project. Focus girl!
nucleargirl
Apr13-12, 03:02 PM
I know... its so bad... and the thing is, I think some other girls might be jealous of me... they're being bloody b**ches!!!
nucleargirl
Apr19-12, 03:09 PM
really, some of the girls in lab are so b**chy... disappointing. I guess I should just ignore them.
chiro
Apr19-12, 06:18 PM
P: 4,575
Quote Quote by nucleargirl View Post
really, some of the girls in lab are so b**chy... disappointing. I guess I should just ignore them.
Write a diary of your experiences, change the names and create a soap opera.

Call it something like: "Higher Learning" and air it at mid-day just after the Oprah, Days of Our Lives, and Hawaii-Five-O reruns.
ktb
Apr19-12, 09:10 PM
P: 45
Read through this whole thread. Lots of laughs. Not sure if nucleargirl is real... or just a really accomplished internet troll with lots of time on their hands.
nucleargirl
Apr20-12, 04:48 PM
omg I'm loving the 'higher learning' thing!! perhaps I should write a romantic novel!!! omg thats such a good idea :))) I think I'd be good at that, and its a back up plan to when science fails me.

and, yes, its all real.
nucleargirl
Apr20-12, 04:58 PM
I'm loving it! Writing it now... I'm gonna be famous!!! and rich!!! wow!!!

Register to reply