a differential problem

by Bob777
Tags: differential
Bob777
Mar15-12, 10:57 PM
P: 4
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
A light is to be placed atop a pole of height h feet to illuminate a busy traffic circle, which has a radius of 40ft. The intensity of illumination I at any point P on the circle is directly proportional to the cosine of the angle θ (see the figure) and inversely proportional to the square of the distance d from the source.
(a)How tall should the light pole be to maximize I?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
intensity of illumination I=cosθ/d^2
cosθ/d^2*the area=I
but any point P has different intensity of illumination according to the distance form center.
and when h change all the intensity of illumination of any point change.
How can I know the I?

Please help me! thanks
Attached Thumbnails
aaa.jpg  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Internet co-creator Cerf debunks 'myth' that US runs it
Astronomical forensics uncover planetary disks in Hubble archive
Solar-powered two-seat Sunseeker airplane has progress report
sunjin09
Mar16-12, 01:00 PM
P: 312
write d as a function of θ, which seems straightforward, then I=cosθ/d(θ)^2, now you can take the derivative
Bob777
Mar17-12, 07:24 AM
Quote Quote by sunjin09 View Post
write d as a function of θ, which seems straightforward, then I=cosθ/d(θ)^2, now you can take the derivative
not I =cosθ/d(θ)^2.
It's "intensity of I"
"intensity of I"=cosθ/d(θ)^2

points have different θ with different radius.
and when h changes everything changes.

:-(

sunjin09
Mar17-12, 08:08 PM
P: 312

a differential problem

The intensity you want to maximize is cosθ/d(θ)^2, which is a function of θ, you want to choose a θ, so that this intensity is maximized. How do you choose θ? You realize that when the intensity is maximized, its derivative with respect to θ is zero... now try to work out the rest. Regarding h, think of h changes with θ, not the contrary
Bob777
Mar19-12, 11:37 PM
Quote Quote by sunjin09 View Post
The intensity you want to maximize is cosθ/d(θ)^2, which is a function of θ, you want to choose a θ, so that this intensity is maximized. How do you choose θ? You realize that when the intensity is maximized, its derivative with respect to θ is zero... now try to work out the rest. Regarding h, think of h changes with θ, not the contrary
Thank you very much for your reply. :)

My question is that the intensity is different at different points on the circle.
I don't know which point on circle it's intensity I have to find the h to maximize .
Should I find maxim intensity of all points on the circle?
HallsofIvy
Mar20-12, 07:56 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,904
Quote Quote by Bob777 View Post
Thank you very much for your reply. :)

My question is that the intensity is different at different points on the circle.
The intensity depends only upon the strength of the light itself and the distance to the light. Those are the same for every point on each circle. The intensity is NOT "different at different points on the circle". That's the whole point of using those circles to analyse the problem.

I don't know which point on circle it's intensity I have to find the h to maximize .
Should I find maxim intensity of all points on the circle?
Bob777
Mar23-12, 03:49 AM
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
The intensity depends only upon the strength of the light itself and the distance to the light. Those are the same for every point on each circle. The intensity is NOT "different at different points on the circle". That's the whole point of using those circles to analyse the problem.
Thank you very much!

Now there is no problem.

:-)

Register to reply