Thomas-Fermi Screening Approximation

by calvinjhfeng
Tags: approximation, screening, thomasfermi
calvinjhfeng
Mar12-12, 04:53 PM
P: 32
I got quite confused with the math in Thomas-Fermi's approximation.
I thought it was supposed to approximate a length but the math from a textbook gives energy instead.
I don't understand what is it trying to approximate.

My professor told me that normal conductors screen electric field at a very short distance ≈1 Angstrom. He said that is the Thomas-Fermi approximated length.

How to derive that length?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Researchers develop scalable methods for manufacturing metamaterials
Researchers find tin selenide shows promise for efficiently converting waste heat into electrical energy
After 13 years, progress in pitch-drop experiment (w/ video)
DrDu
Mar13-12, 08:26 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,372
Quote Quote by calvinjhfeng View Post
I thought it was supposed to approximate a length but the math from a textbook gives energy instead.
And what do you suppose us to do now? Trying to guess what might actually be written in your unspecified textbook?
calvinjhfeng
Mar13-12, 05:17 PM
P: 32
Quote Quote by DrDu View Post
And what do you suppose us to do now? Trying to guess what might actually be written in your unspecified textbook?
I supposed a brief explaination of Thomas-Fermi method on approximating this screening length so i at least have an idea of what is going on.
However, I agree that I should have been more specific with the questions. Please allow me to go to library again and pull out the book again.
Also thank you for trying to help.

mzh
Mar23-12, 04:31 AM
P: 66

Thomas-Fermi Screening Approximation

deleted
mzh
Mar23-12, 04:31 AM
P: 66
Quote Quote by calvinjhfeng View Post
I supposed a brief explaination of Thomas-Fermi method on approximating this screening length so i at least have an idea of what is going on.
However, I agree that I should have been more specific with the questions. Please allow me to go to library again and pull out the book again.
Also thank you for trying to help.
which book did you consider in the end?

Register to reply