Rappelling caterpillars?

by jtbell
Tags: caterpillars, rappelling
jtbell
Mar22-12, 12:44 PM
Mentor
P: 11,255
With the warm weather of the past couple of weeks, I've been frequently running into small caterpillars (about 1-2 cm long and about 2 mm in diameter) dangling from tree branches on long threads. I usually have to brush a few of them off my clothes after walking across campus, or between home and campus. On my way to lunch today, I snagged one of the threads on the visor of my cap, leaving the critter dangling in front of my eyes.

What are these things?
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Citizen scientists match research tool when counting sharks
Microbes provide insights into evolution of human language
First sex determining genes appeared in mammals 180 million years ago
Ryan_m_b
Mar22-12, 12:47 PM
Mentor
P: 5,351
Snap a pic next time you see one
turbo
Mar22-12, 02:23 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,367
Lots of caterpillars start out tiny, but can spin silk to distribute themselves. That's probably how the tent caterpillars get around and colonize trees. Lately, we have had lots of tiny spiders floating around, but not the caterpillars (yet). With this year's super-mild winter, I might be doing a lot of pruning and burning this summer to get rid of them.

jtbell
Mar23-12, 02:20 PM
Mentor

Rappelling caterpillars?

Quote Quote by Ryan_m_b View Post
Snap a pic next time you see one
I didn't carry a camera with me while walking today, but I just noticed one sitting on my mouse. It must have fallen off my clothes. Or maybe it fell out of my beard. Here it is, thanks to my webcam:
Attached Thumbnails
caterpillar.jpg  
chemisttree
Mar23-12, 02:43 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,725
I've got them all over my Red Oak trees as well. They jump off the tree and dangle from silk threads to avoid predators. There are many different species that do this.
jtbell
Apr2-12, 08:50 AM
Mentor
I'm not the only person around here who's noticed them. Today's daily campus announcements e-mail has the following at the top:

ANNOUNCER'S NOTE: This is a college. A place where people search for knowledge. That being the case, can someone -- anyone, really -- tell me what's up with those darn bushwacking inchworms that have launched an epic ambush campaign from the stately oaks of the C? Are they really going to undergo metamorphosis into moths or butterflies -- or are they making their way to the ear canals so they can eat our brains? Is is just a random act of nature or do they get together at night to plan their creepy little sorties? Are they just looking for food? Do they have teeny-tiny tattoos that say "WIGGLE FROM ABOVE" or "ITCHING TO CONQUER"? If you, too, are looking for answers, join HAIL -- Hal's Anti-Inchworm League -- today.

Register to reply