Learn to solve physics exercises

In summary, the conversation is about a first year undergrad student seeking help with solving physics exercises, particularly in the field of mechanics. They are looking for recommendations for websites and books to improve their skills, and one suggestion is to start with a Schaum's outline book. There is also a discussion about the student's current level of knowledge and the difficulty they have with physics exercises despite their background in applied maths.
Deimantas
Hello all.
I don't have much time.. I'm studying applied maths and I've got a mandatory course of physics. I find it the hardest of all courses. Despite the fact that physics exercises are based heavily on math, I hardly succeed in solving it.

What I seek to develop is, specifically, an ability to solve physics exercises, focused chiefly on equations, in the field of mechanics. After I build the skill in solving mechanics exercises, I'll probably be able to adapt to other fields. If you could recommend me any web-sites or books for a physics beginner, I'd appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
What level are you talking about? First year undergrad?

Doc Al said:
What level are you talking about? First year undergrad?

Well, I am a first year undergrad, but I don't possesses the required knowledge that one should. I thought maybe I should begin at late high school level, but I'm not sure. Just throw at me whatever you have.

1. How do I approach solving physics exercises?

To solve physics exercises, it is important to first understand the concepts and formulas involved. Then, carefully read and analyze the given problem, identify the known and unknown variables, and determine which formula(s) can be applied. Finally, use the appropriate formula(s) to solve for the unknown variable(s) and double check your answer.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics exercises?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving physics exercises include not paying attention to units, using incorrect formulas, and making calculation errors. It is also important to carefully read the question and make sure you are answering what is being asked.

3. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in physics, it is important to practice regularly and seek help from a teacher or tutor when needed. It is also helpful to break down problems into smaller, manageable steps and to understand the underlying concepts rather than just memorizing formulas.

4. What resources are available for practicing physics exercises?

There are many resources available for practicing physics exercises, such as textbooks, online tutorials, practice problems, and study groups. Your teacher or professor may also provide additional resources and practice materials.

5. How can I check if my answer to a physics exercise is correct?

You can check your answer to a physics exercise by plugging it back into the original equation and solving for the known variables. You can also use online calculators or ask a teacher or tutor to verify your answer. It is important to double check your work to ensure accuracy.