Using an Arrhenius plot

by mycotheology
Tags: arrhenius, plot
mycotheology
Mar25-12, 12:13 PM
P: 90
Heres the question:

Kinetics is probably my weakest area in chemistry so I'm struggling. To find the shelf life, I need to use the Arrhenius equation but I don't know the activation energy Ea or the A constant. So I converted 2 those percentages into rates and got:
At 40C, rate = 0.082 %/month
At 60C, rate = 0.39 %/month

I know that if I plot 1/T vs. lnk, I get an Arrhenius plot and then I can find Ea from the slope and A from the y-intercept but I don't have k. Can I just use the rates that I have instead of k?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
First view of nature-inspired catalyst after ripping hydrogen apart provides insights for better, cheaper fuel cells
Following a protein's travel inside cells is key to improving patient monitoring, drug development
Team helps cancer treatment drugs get past their sticking point
Borek
Mar25-12, 01:16 PM
Admin
P: 22,708
You have two data points and two unknowns, that means you should be able to find both solving system of two equations.
mycotheology
Mar25-12, 02:06 PM
P: 90
Can you elaborate on that a bit. Do you mean use simultaenous equations?

Borek
Mar25-12, 02:21 PM
Admin
P: 22,708

Using an Arrhenius plot

Yes.

Register to reply