by adamxrt
Tags: circuit, pneumatic
Share this thread:
adamxrt
Apr1-12, 02:38 PM
P: 28
Hey guys,

Ive designed a pneumatic circuit for

The part concerned is an aerospace semi structural component. At 30 kilos, the new composite part is a third of the weight of the conventional titanium structure, yet exhibits equally good stiffness, impact and in-service performance.
The component is manufactured by Vacuum Assisted Resin Transfer Moulding (VARTM) process with a 90 minute cycle time and is therefore appropriate for relatively high production rates.
The part is made from a satin weave Tenax HTS epoxy “sized” (12k and 6k) carbon fibres with polyester stitching and a stacking sequence of [+/-45]. 8 layers of material top and bottom sandwiched around a high density foam (e.g. Rohacell®). The fibre is in direct contact with the foam which has a closed cell structure. The foam is thermoplastic and can withstand temperatures of up to 210oC.
The fibre and foam core are placed in the VARTM tool as a single unit and subsequently injected with resin. The resin is a commercial aerospace grade resin such as RTM6.
The composite part is automatically ejected from the mould after the cure cycle is complete.

It is proposed to automatically drill two holes, one after the other, through the component as shown in Figure 1. The holes lie along the centreline of the part and their location relative to the bottom edge is as shown.
Cell and control system design
Altogether, the factory has invested in 12 moulds to produce this composite part and all parts have exactly the same requirement for the two holes.
Assuming that two linear pneumatic actuators will form the basis of the drilling mechanism, produce a detailed labelled sketch of your proposal for the production cell. Specify the key pneumatic components.
Design two pneumatic circuits that will execute the required sequence; one based on the Cascade Method and the other using a 2/n counter. Both circuits should use standard discrete pneumatic components. The circuit should automatically turn on and turn off the drill at the appropriate stage in the cycle. (You may treat the drill ON/OFF as a third actuator). In other words, your circuit should use three double acting actuators and you should have an eight-step sequence.
Ensure that you consider the operator and process interface, process characteristics and cycle start/re-start features in your design.

Ive done the cascade method, another person is doing the 2n counter.

this is my first time doing a pneumatic circuit. The others in my group set the sequence, which i think is correct, and i opted to design the circuit.

Can you pneumatic guys have a look at it and tell me if its viable/ well designed/overcomplicated?
ive added in saftey features, start stop controls etc.

If ive missed anything, can you point me in the right directions?

I cant set the pressure and actuator speeds until we resaerch that composite
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
A spray-on light show on four wheels: Darkside Scientific
Research project on accident-avoiding vehicle concluded
Smaller artificial magnetic conductors allow for more compact antenna hardware

Register to reply