Conservation of Rotational Energy Question

In summary, the problem involves a small hoop with radius 8.00 and mass 0.180 wrapped in a string and released from rest. The goal is to calculate the angular speed and speed of the hoop's center after it has descended 95.0. Using the equations for potential energy and kinetic energy, the initial and final states can be equated to solve for the final angular and linear velocities. The solution involves considering the relationship between the hoop's angular and linear velocities as it rolls down the string without slipping.
Whiterice

Homework Statement

A string is wrapped several times around the rim of a small hoop with radius 8.00 and mass 0.180 . The free end of the string is held in place and the hoop is released from rest. After the hoop has descended 95.0 , calculate the angular speed and speed of its center.

Homework Equations

U = mgh
K_trans = 1/2mv^2
K_rot = 1/2Iω^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I set the starting point was at a height of .95m.
K_i + U_i = K_f + U_f
0 + mgh = 1/2mv^2+1/2Iω^2 + 0
mgh = 1/2mv^2 + 1/2m(r^2)(ω^2)
(.18)(9.8)(.95) = (.5)(.18)(v^2) + (.5)(.18)(.08^2)(ω^2)

But then I have two variables in the same equation and I'm not sure where to go. I know that the speed at the center is going to be equal to v (the linear velocity) and angular speed is ω.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is as if the hoop rolled down on the string. There is a relation between the velocity of translation and angular speed of rotation for the case "rolling without slipping". You can figure it out if you answer the question: what distance does the hoop travel down on the string while it turns one?

ehild

1. What is the conservation of rotational energy?

The conservation of rotational energy is a principle in physics that states that the total amount of energy in a rotating system remains constant, as long as there are no external forces acting on the system.

2. How does conservation of rotational energy apply to objects in motion?

When an object is in motion, it possesses both kinetic energy and rotational energy. The conservation of rotational energy ensures that the sum of these energies remains constant, even as the object moves and changes its rotational speed.

3. What are some real-life examples of the conservation of rotational energy?

One example is a spinning top. As it spins, it maintains its energy due to the conservation of rotational energy. Another example is a figure skater performing a spin. They can change their body position to increase or decrease their rotational speed, but the total energy remains constant.

4. How does the conservation of rotational energy relate to the law of conservation of energy?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. The conservation of rotational energy is a specific application of this law, focusing on the conservation of energy in rotating systems.

5. Can the conservation of rotational energy be violated?

In ideal conditions, the conservation of rotational energy will always hold true. However, in real-world situations, external forces such as friction can cause some energy to be lost, violating the principle. In these cases, the amount of energy lost is usually small and can be accounted for in calculations.