Sequences and convergence in the standard topology

In summary: The standard topology is the set of all points in ℝ that satisfy the following two conditions: First, every point belongs to at most one of the two intervals (p,q) that intersect the coordinate plane at exactly one point. Second, the interior points of both intervals are the same.
moweee
Hello all.

I have to present a proof to our Intro to Topology class and I just wanted to make sure I did it right (before I look like a fool up there).

Proposition

Let c be in ℝ such that c≠0. Prove that if {an} converges to a in the standard topology, denoted by τs, then {can} converges to ca in the standard topology on ℝ.

Proof

Let c [itex]\in[/itex] ℝ such that c≠0. Suppose {an} converges to a in the standard topology, denoted by τs.

Let V [itex]\in[/itex] τs with ca in V. Since V in τs, there exists an interval (p,q) with ca [itex]\in[/itex] (p,q) and (p,q) [itex]\subseteq[/itex] V. Thus, p < ca < q, which implies p/c < a < q/c.

Note that p/c < (p/c + a)/2 < a < (q/c + a)/2 < q/c

Thus, (p/c , q/c) [itex]\in[/itex] τs such that a [itex]\in[/itex] (p/c, q/c).

Since, by our assumption, {an} converges to a in the standard topology, there exists m [itex]\in[/itex] N such that an [itex]\in[/itex] (p/c,q/c) for all n ≥ m. Hence, p/c < an < q/c. Hence, p < can< q for all n≥m. Since can [itex]\in[/itex] (p,q) and (p,q) [itex]\subseteq[/itex] V, can [itex]\in [/itex]V for all n ≥ m.

Therefore, {can} converges to ca in the standard topology on ℝ.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks pretty good. Two minor points.

moweee said:
Hello all.

I have to present a proof to our Intro to Topology class and I just wanted to make sure I did it right (before I look like a fool up there).

Proposition

Let c be in ℝ such that c≠0. Prove that if {an} converges to a in the standard topology, denoted by τs, then {can} converges to ca in the standard topology on ℝ.

Proof

Let c [itex]\in[/itex] ℝ such that c≠0. Suppose {an} converges to a in the standard topology, denoted by τs.

Let V [itex]\in[/itex] τs with ca in V. Since V in τs, there exists an interval (p,q) with ca [itex]\in[/itex] (p,q) and (p,q) [itex]\subseteq[/itex] V. Thus, p < ca < q, which implies p/c < a < q/c.

Beware that c might be negative.

Note that p/c < (p/c + a)/2 < a < (q/c + a)/2 < q/c

I don't really see the point of this line. Why is this necessary??

Thus, (p/c , q/c) [itex]\in[/itex] τs such that a [itex]\in[/itex] (p/c, q/c).

Since, by our assumption, {an} converges to a in the standard topology, there exists m [itex]\in[/itex] N such that an [itex]\in[/itex] (p/c,q/c) for all n ≥ m. Hence, p/c < an < q/c. Hence, p < can< q for all n≥m. Since can [itex]\in[/itex] (p,q) and (p,q) [itex]\subseteq[/itex] V, can [itex]\in [/itex]V for all n ≥ m.

Therefore, {can} converges to ca in the standard topology on ℝ.

Oh ok. So if I consider cases-- with c>0 and c<0-- then most of the work stays in tact. But in the case where c<0, when I divide by c, the inequalities will change, but this will later be undone when I multiply by c at the end. So it should still work. Correct?

I mentioned that p/c < (p/c + a)/2 < a < (q/c + a)/2 < q/c because I needed to justify that (p/c, q/c) is in fact in the standard topology by showing that there exists an interval--specifically, the interval ( (p/c + a)/2, (q/c + a)/2 )-- such that a is in said interval and said interval is contained in (p/c,q/c).

One thing is bothering me though...my prof always stressed that when prove that something "exists" when have to choose/set it. I get confused when using the definition of convergence since it implies that there exists an m\in N such that blah blah blah. By showing such an m exists, is that enough? Or do I have to find a specific m\in N where it works? Am I making any sense?

Last edited:
moweee said:
Oh ok. So if I consider cases-- with c>0 and c<0-- then most of the work stays in tact. But in the case where c<0, when I divide by c, the inequalities will change, but this will later be undone when I multiply by c at the end. So it should still work. Correct?

That's ok.

I mentioned that p/c < (p/c + a)/2 < a < (q/c + a)/2 < q/c because I needed to justify that (p/c, q/c) is in fact in the standard topology by showing that there exists an interval--specifically, the interval ( (p/c + a)/2, (q/c + a)/2 )-- such that a is in said interval and said interval is contained in (p/c,q/c).

Ok, I see what you mean. But what is your definition of the standard topology?? Can't you just say that (p/c,q/c) is the interval contained in (p/c,q/c)?? Not that it matters much...

One thing is bothering me though...my prof always stressed that when prove that something "exists" when have to choose/set it. I get confused when using the definition of convergence since it implies that there exists an m\in N such that blah blah blah. By showing such an m exists, is that enough? Or do I have to find a specific m\in N where it works? Am I making any sense?

The existence follows directly from the definition of convergence, no? I mean: if you know that an converges, then you automatically get the existence of an m such that blablabla.

If you want to show convergence, then you need to find a specific m. But here you're already given convergence, so existence is no problem here.

micromass said:
Can't you just say that (p/c,q/c) is the interval contained in (p/c,q/c)?? Not that it matters much...

Oh duh! That makes sense and is a lot less complicated.

micromass said:
The existence follows directly from the definition of convergence, no? I mean: if you know that an converges, then you automatically get the existence of an m such that blablabla.

If you want to show convergence, then you need to find a specific m. But here you're already given convergence, so existence is no problem here.

Thanks for clearing that up. I appreciate your help =]

1. What is a sequence in the standard topology?

A sequence in the standard topology is a list of numbers that follows a specific pattern or rule. Each number in the sequence is called a term, and the sequence can be infinite or finite. In the standard topology, a sequence is considered to converge if it approaches a specific value or limit as the number of terms increases.

2. What is the difference between a convergent and a divergent sequence?

A convergent sequence is one that approaches a specific limit as the number of terms increases. This means that the terms in the sequence get closer and closer to the limit as the sequence progresses. On the other hand, a divergent sequence is one that does not have a specific limit and may either approach infinity or oscillate between different values.

3. How is convergence defined in the standard topology?

In the standard topology, a sequence is considered to converge if for any given distance or epsilon, there exists a term in the sequence after which all subsequent terms are within that distance from the limit. This means that the terms in the sequence get arbitrarily close to the limit as the sequence progresses.

4. What is the role of the standard topology in understanding sequences and convergence?

The standard topology provides a framework for understanding sequences and convergence. It defines a set of open sets and neighborhoods that are used to determine the convergence of a sequence. This topology also allows us to define concepts such as limit points and closed sets, which are important in understanding the behavior of sequences.

5. How are sequences and convergence used in real-world applications?

Sequences and convergence have a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. In physics, they are used to model the behavior of particles and waves, while in engineering, they are used to optimize designs and analyze data. In economics, they are used to study market trends and make predictions. Understanding sequences and convergence is crucial in these fields for making accurate predictions and solving complex problems.