Register to reply

Sequences and convergence in the standard topology

Share this thread:
moweee
Apr3-12, 04:48 AM
P: 3
Hello all.

I have to present a proof to our Intro to Topology class and I just wanted to make sure I did it right (before I look like a fool up there).

Proposition

Let c be in ℝ such that c≠0. Prove that if {an} converges to a in the standard topology, denoted by τs, then {can} converges to ca in the standard topology on ℝ.

Proof

Let c [itex]\in[/itex] ℝ such that c≠0. Suppose {an} converges to a in the standard topology, denoted by τs.

Let V [itex]\in[/itex] τs with ca in V. Since V in τs, there exists an interval (p,q) with ca [itex]\in[/itex] (p,q) and (p,q) [itex]\subseteq[/itex] V. Thus, p < ca < q, which implies p/c < a < q/c.

Note that p/c < (p/c + a)/2 < a < (q/c + a)/2 < q/c

Thus, (p/c , q/c) [itex]\in[/itex] τs such that a [itex]\in[/itex] (p/c, q/c).

Since, by our assumption, {an} converges to a in the standard topology, there exists m [itex]\in[/itex] N such that an [itex]\in[/itex] (p/c,q/c) for all n ≥ m. Hence, p/c < an < q/c. Hence, p < can< q for all n≥m. Since can [itex]\in[/itex] (p,q) and (p,q) [itex]\subseteq[/itex] V, can [itex]\in [/itex]V for all n ≥ m.

Therefore, {can} converges to ca in the standard topology on ℝ.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Scientists develop 'electronic nose' for rapid detection of C. diff infection
Why plants in the office make us more productive
Tesla Motors dealing as states play factory poker
micromass
Apr3-12, 06:56 AM
Mentor
P: 18,330
Looks pretty good. Two minor points.

Quote Quote by moweee View Post
Hello all.

I have to present a proof to our Intro to Topology class and I just wanted to make sure I did it right (before I look like a fool up there).

Proposition

Let c be in ℝ such that c≠0. Prove that if {an} converges to a in the standard topology, denoted by τs, then {can} converges to ca in the standard topology on ℝ.

Proof

Let c [itex]\in[/itex] ℝ such that c≠0. Suppose {an} converges to a in the standard topology, denoted by τs.

Let V [itex]\in[/itex] τs with ca in V. Since V in τs, there exists an interval (p,q) with ca [itex]\in[/itex] (p,q) and (p,q) [itex]\subseteq[/itex] V. Thus, p < ca < q, which implies p/c < a < q/c.
Beware that c might be negative.

Note that p/c < (p/c + a)/2 < a < (q/c + a)/2 < q/c
I don't really see the point of this line. Why is this necessary??

Thus, (p/c , q/c) [itex]\in[/itex] τs such that a [itex]\in[/itex] (p/c, q/c).

Since, by our assumption, {an} converges to a in the standard topology, there exists m [itex]\in[/itex] N such that an [itex]\in[/itex] (p/c,q/c) for all n ≥ m. Hence, p/c < an < q/c. Hence, p < can< q for all n≥m. Since can [itex]\in[/itex] (p,q) and (p,q) [itex]\subseteq[/itex] V, can [itex]\in [/itex]V for all n ≥ m.

Therefore, {can} converges to ca in the standard topology on ℝ.
moweee
Apr3-12, 07:45 AM
Oh ok. So if I consider cases-- with c>0 and c<0-- then most of the work stays in tact. But in the case where c<0, when I divide by c, the inequalities will change, but this will later be undone when I multiply by c at the end. So it should still work. Correct?

I mentioned that p/c < (p/c + a)/2 < a < (q/c + a)/2 < q/c because I needed to justify that (p/c, q/c) is in fact in the standard topology by showing that there exists an interval--specifically, the interval ( (p/c + a)/2, (q/c + a)/2 )-- such that a is in said interval and said interval is contained in (p/c,q/c).

One thing is bothering me though...my prof always stressed that when prove that something "exists" when have to choose/set it. I get confused when using the definition of convergence since it implies that there exists an m\in N such that blah blah blah. By showing such an m exists, is that enough? Or do I have to find a specific m\in N where it works? Am I making any sense?

micromass
Apr3-12, 10:47 AM
Mentor
P: 18,330
Sequences and convergence in the standard topology

Quote Quote by moweee View Post
Oh ok. So if I consider cases-- with c>0 and c<0-- then most of the work stays in tact. But in the case where c<0, when I divide by c, the inequalities will change, but this will later be undone when I multiply by c at the end. So it should still work. Correct?
That's ok.

I mentioned that p/c < (p/c + a)/2 < a < (q/c + a)/2 < q/c because I needed to justify that (p/c, q/c) is in fact in the standard topology by showing that there exists an interval--specifically, the interval ( (p/c + a)/2, (q/c + a)/2 )-- such that a is in said interval and said interval is contained in (p/c,q/c).
Ok, I see what you mean. But what is your definition of the standard topology?? Can't you just say that (p/c,q/c) is the interval contained in (p/c,q/c)?? Not that it matters much...

One thing is bothering me though...my prof always stressed that when prove that something "exists" when have to choose/set it. I get confused when using the definition of convergence since it implies that there exists an m\in N such that blah blah blah. By showing such an m exists, is that enough? Or do I have to find a specific m\in N where it works? Am I making any sense?
The existence follows directly from the definition of convergence, no? I mean: if you know that an converges, then you automatically get the existence of an m such that blablabla.

If you want to show convergence, then you need to find a specific m. But here you're already given convergence, so existence is no problem here.
moweee
Apr3-12, 01:13 PM
Quote Quote by micromass View Post
Can't you just say that (p/c,q/c) is the interval contained in (p/c,q/c)?? Not that it matters much...
Oh duh! That makes sense and is a lot less complicated.

Quote Quote by micromass View Post
The existence follows directly from the definition of convergence, no? I mean: if you know that an converges, then you automatically get the existence of an m such that blablabla.

If you want to show convergence, then you need to find a specific m. But here you're already given convergence, so existence is no problem here.
Thanks for clearing that up. I appreciate your help =]

Register to reply