by hivesaeed4
Tags: comparison, limit, test
Share this thread:
hivesaeed4
Apr2-12, 10:26 PM
P: 217
I'm given the following:
3/(n(2^(n-1)))
I have to determine convergence using the limit comparison test. I've proved its convergent using the ratio test but am struggling with which term do I divide the above for the limit comparison test. Help?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
hivesaeed4
Apr2-12, 10:31 PM
Don't bother replying. I figured it out.
hivesaeed4
Apr2-12, 10:34 PM
I have just one question. Suppose the limit comparison test evaluates to infinity. Would it still prove convergence?

DonAntonio
Apr3-12, 06:43 AM
P: 606
Using the limit comparison test

Quote Quote by hivesaeed4 View Post
I have just one question. Suppose the limit comparison test evaluates to infinity. Would it still prove convergence?

Either you're asking something else or you're confusing the limit comparison test: this test tells you that if the limit of the quotient of two positive sequences exists finitely and is NOT zero, then the series whose general term is one of the seq's converges iff the series whose general term is the other seq. converges...so what's your question?

DonAntonio
hivesaeed4
Apr3-12, 09:25 AM
Sorry. I should have been clearer. The question was if the limit comparison test evaluates to infinity and we used a series whose general term was known to be convergent then the series whose general term's convergence we have to determine, is it also convergent. You answered that question by stating the finite part. Thanks

Register to reply