Register to reply

Geomagnetic field statistics?

by arpeggio
Tags: field, geomagnetic, statistics
Share this thread:
arpeggio
Apr6-12, 12:58 AM
P: 29
I am trying to find a correlation between colony collapse disorder and the change in earth's magnetic field. I don't understand the whole physics of measuring earth's magnetic field but I am guessing that there is some sort of measurement that has been recorded every year?
I have been researching it but could find the data that I want. Do you know if I am searching for right key words?
Phys.Org News Partner Earth sciences news on Phys.org
davenn
Apr7-12, 01:41 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,457
specifically what sort of colony are you referring to ?

Dave
Andre
Apr7-12, 04:40 AM
PF Gold
P: 5,458
Don't worry about the earth magnetic field. It has done the wildest things in the geologic past and not a single extinction can be attributed to it.

About Colony Collapse Disorder for honeybees, it seems that the culprit may have been found, Neonicotinoids. Let's see if the bans are going to help.

davenn
Apr7-12, 04:43 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,457
Geomagnetic field statistics?

Quote Quote by Andre View Post
Don't worry about the earth magnetic field. It has done the wildest things in the geologic past and not a single extinction can be attributed to it.......
Those were my thoughts/ knowledge as well.
But I was curious as to what sort of colonies the OP was referring to :)

cheers
Dave
Stephen Tashi
Apr7-12, 09:46 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,245
Quote Quote by arpeggio View Post
Do you know if I am searching for right key words?
I suggest you investigate the data collected by satellites. Usually people who publish academic papers feel some obligation to provide access to the data they use. I found hits such as this: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...LT9VEoHPDGekfQ
geo101
May2-12, 03:51 AM
P: 53
It really depends on exactly what data you are looking for in terms of time scale and location.
  • You can obtain geomagnetic observatory data from the British Geological Survey, here is the BGS website.
  • Off the top of my head I can't think of website with raw satellite data, but the data are incorporate into the most recent International Geomagnetic Reference Field (IGRF) model (11th Generation website).
  • The National Geophysical Data Center (NGDC) also a data repository for geomagnetic data, which can be found here.

Specifically the topic of colony collapse of bees (I assume). As Andre said, there have been much more dramatic changes in field behaviour that what we have seen in recent years. So I do not believe there is a link.

Any one reading the title looking for geomag data now has some starting points

Register to reply