Advanced Quantum mechanics textbook

by Livingston
Tags: advanced, mechanics, quantum, textbook
Share this thread:
Livingston
Apr5-12, 12:42 PM
P: 12
Hello everyone!

I'm looking for an advanced quantum mechanics textbook. I've taken several undergrad quantum courses, but since starting my masters and taking grad courses in noncommutative geometry, functional analysis, and gauge theory to name a few I feel unsatisfied with the level of quantum mechanics I was taught during my undergrad (for example we never used the bra-ket notation or ever discussed eigenstates to name a few).

What kind of textbook would you recommend? I would like something that sort of ties more mathematics into quantum mechanics making it a bit more rigorous than one usually sees in a quantum text book.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Jorriss
Apr5-12, 06:14 PM
P: 1,066
Sakurai, Modern Quantum Mechanics.
genericusrnme
Apr5-12, 06:19 PM
P: 615
+100 for Sakurai!
Sakurai's Modern Quantum Mechanics and his Advanced Quantum Mechanics books are both very nice

Perhaps some of Landau and Lifgarbagez QM books (vol. 3 & 4) wouldn't go astray although they are a little outdated they're still pretty good.

Livingston
Apr5-12, 06:55 PM
Advanced Quantum mechanics textbook

Yeah I was thinking that book or Shankar. I guess Shankar is more of intermediate book?
Jorriss
Apr5-12, 07:02 PM
P: 1,066
Quote Quote by Livingston View Post
Yeah I was thinking that book or Shankar. I guess Shankar is more of intermediate book?
I would say so, but it could easily be a graduate level book too. It has a large scope. I just prefer Sakurai's writing.
George Jones
Apr5-12, 07:23 PM
Mentor
P: 6,246
You should also consider the books by Ballentine and Isham:

http://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Mechan...3671666&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Lectures-Quant...3671720&sr=1-1
Livingston
Apr6-12, 12:47 PM
Great. Thanks. If that's the same Isham of "Ashtekar and Isham" I may just have to check it out.
Mindscrape
Apr7-12, 04:45 PM
P: 1,874
I have one by Zetilli that I really like. It has a lot of solved problems, so it is good both as a book and as a reference. It isn't super advanced, but neither is it easy, kind of in-between undergrad and grad level. There's some errors, but I actually find that they keep you on your feet.

Register to reply