Register to reply

Galvanic protection of multiple materials maintaining electric connection

by jhovi
Tags: galvanic corrosion
Share this thread:
jhovi
Apr10-12, 09:03 PM
P: 1
I am looking for the best way to prevent corrosion between two different materials while maintaining electrical contact between them. Specifically, I am wondering about carbon fiber panels placed on an aluminum base and exposed to seawater. Carbon (graphite at least) has a much higher galvanic potential than aluminum so I'm assuming the aluminum will corrode. I cannot place an insulator between them as they need to be electrically connected. Would it suffice to use a typical sacrificial anode? Or might I place another material, like stainless steel, between the carbon and aluminum and reduce the effect?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
DIY glove-based tutor indicates muscle-memory potential
Tricorder XPRIZE: 10 teams advance in global competition to develop consumer-focused diagnostic device
Study shows local seismic isolation and damping methods provide optimal protection for essential computing equipment

Register to reply