Register to reply

Circulation around a plane wing.

by billy92
Tags: circulation, plane, wing
Share this thread:
billy92
Apr11-12, 10:56 AM
P: 12
After looking into the lift force i hve been able to calculate most of the things i know. I have however been told that i need to use circulation and vorticity to show that the air flows faster over the wing than below it. I need to show this mathematically by derviving an equation but i am unsure where to start.

Would anbody be able to help without making things too complicated
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
The physics of lead guitar playing
The birth of topological spintronics
boneh3ad
Apr11-12, 11:29 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,487
There isn't some magic equation to use. There is basically no simple way to do it. For a slow (M<0.3) airfoil, the easiest way to determine circulation is probably using a simple inviscid panel method code and enforcing the Kutta condition. That will give you a circulation value.

For faster flows, compressibility becomes important and the problem becomes more difficult. Once you reach the point of having a supersonic leading edge, circulation is no longer the important factor and you can determine lift from the series of shocks and expansions and the resulting pressure fields.
billy92
Apr15-12, 12:34 PM
P: 12
I have been told to use the following resource

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=G...page&q&f=false

I was able to show that for a faster speed the pressure is less using bernoulli principle. I now need to show that the speed is greater above the wing. WOuld anyone be able to explain how the link shows this in more simpler terms

Thanks

Register to reply