How come stable isotopes have more neutrons than protons?

In summary, the stability of a nucleus is determined by the balance between the nuclear force and the electric force. To compensate for the repelling force between protons, stable nuclei have more neutrons. This is why for lighter elements, isotopes with equal numbers of protons and neutrons are stable. However, too many neutrons can also make a nucleus unstable, as only a certain number of neutrons can occupy the lowest energy state. This is why the number of stable nuclei is limited.
dingo_d
So, watching the chart of isotopes (or nuclides), where I have isotopes put according to how stable they are, I have seen that the stable elements have more neutrons than protons.

And I wonder why that is?

Is it because neutrons are responsible for binding the nucleus with nuclear force (because protons would just repel each other due to Coulomb force), and contribute to higher binding energy or is it something else?

I'm taking nuclear physics class, but we only deal with mathematical side like transitional matrix elements and quadrupole moment etc. Plus the professor is kinda boring. And I'd like some nice explanations to why some things are. So if you can help me understand this a bit better I'd be grateful :)

Physics news on Phys.org
There are a lot of ways to answer this question but the bottom line is that the nuclear force dies off quicker as a function of distance than does the electric force. With a larger nuclear radius, opposite sides are farther apart and therefore the electric force repelling protons is, per nucleon, stronger than the nuclear force attracting everything. To get a stable nucleus, you have to compensate for this by adding more neutrons so that that total nuclear binding force balances the repellant force. If you look closely, stable elements with small diameters (He, Li, etc.) have roughly equal amounts of neutrons and protons. As you go to bigger and bigger nuclei, you need disproportionally more neutrons to keep the nucleus stable.

So basically it's all because of the force, that is competition between Coulomb repulsion and nuclear force.

Thanks for the clarification :)

Also, note that for lighter elements, isotopes with equal numbers of protons and neutrons are typically stable, as is Helium-3 (and, trivially, Hydrogen-1).

Hmm, this explains why too few neutrons is unstable, but why is too many neutrons unstable?

Khashishi said:
Hmm, this explains why too few neutrons is unstable, but why is too many neutrons unstable?

I am guessing, but it may be related to the fact that free neutrons are unstable.

Protons and neutrons are fermions, therefore they cannot have identical quantum numbers in the nucleus. This means that only two neutrons can occupy the lowest state (with spin up and down), the following two neutrons have to use a state with higher energy and so on. If you have too many neutrons and too few protons, the highest occupied neutron state has a higher energy than the lowest free proton state (plus electron plus neutrino energy), and a neutron can decay into a proton.
This is the main reason why the total number of stable nuclei with fixed sum of protons+neutrons is very small - usually just one. The coulomb forces just increase the proton energy levels a bit and therefore reduce the proton to neutron ratio for large nuclei, but they do not make every nucleus with some additional protons unstable.

1. Why do stable isotopes have more neutrons than protons?

Stable isotopes have more neutrons than protons because neutrons help to stabilize the atomic nucleus and prevent it from breaking apart due to the repulsive force between positively charged protons.

2. How does the number of neutrons affect the stability of an isotope?

The number of neutrons in an isotope affects its stability by increasing the strong nuclear force that holds the nucleus together. This helps to counteract the repulsive force between protons and keep the nucleus intact.

3. Do all isotopes have the same number of neutrons and protons?

No, isotopes can have varying numbers of neutrons and protons. Isotopes of the same element have the same number of protons, but different numbers of neutrons, resulting in different atomic masses.

4. How are stable isotopes formed with more neutrons?

Stable isotopes with more neutrons are formed through the process of nuclear fusion in stars. This involves the merging of lighter elements to form heavier elements, which can have more neutrons and protons in their nuclei.

5. Can isotopes with more neutrons be unstable?

Yes, isotopes with more neutrons can still be unstable if they have an imbalance of neutrons and protons in their nuclei. This can lead to radioactive decay, where the isotope emits particles or energy in order to achieve a more stable state.