What happens when net torque is zero?

by jayadds
Tags: torque
jayadds
Apr13-12, 09:48 PM
P: 42
I know that net torque is the sum of torques in a given situation. So take this as an example: If I used a wrench to turn a nut counterclockwise and it succesfully moves, is the net torque going to be non-zero? If so, then can someone please give me an example where the net torque can be zero.

Furthermore, if net torque is zero, does that mean the object doesn't rotate?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
haruspex
Apr13-12, 10:31 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
P: 9,179
It's no different in this regard from the linear case.

A nonzero net torque will result in an angular acceleration.
When the nut starts to rotate, from stationary, it is being accelerated, so there is a net torque. But very soon it's rotating at a steady rate, so the net torque is back to zero. The torque you continue to apply is equal to the dynamic friction.

In the period during which you were building up the torque, but the nut was still not yielding, your applied torque was exactly balanced by static friction.

Register to reply