How to show this sum covereges

by zli034
Tags: covereges
Share this thread:
zli034
Apr15-12, 04:50 PM
P: 103
[tex]\sum_{m=1}^N(\frac{1}{m^4}-\frac{1}{m^6})[/tex]

My math on sum series is very rusty, can anyone show me show this sum converges?

It is not geometric series, right?

Suddenly found out it is needed to show Kolmogorov SLLN of some random varianble.

Thanks in advance
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
Team announces construction of a formal computer-verified proof of the Kepler conjecture
HallsofIvy
Apr15-12, 05:18 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,552
Have you done the basic algebra?
[tex]\frac{1}{m^4}- \frac{1}{m^6}= \frac{m^2}{m^6}- \frac{1}{s^6}= \frac{m^2- 1}{m^6}[/tex]
Now "compare" that to [itex]1/m^4[/itex] which converges.
A. Bahat
Apr15-12, 05:28 PM
P: 150
Alternatively, one could note that Ʃ1/n4 and Ʃ1/n6 both converge, so Ʃ(1/n4-1/n6) converges (for good measure, it's equal to Ʃ1/n4 - Ʃ1/n6 = π4/90 - π6/945).

zli034
Apr15-12, 08:19 PM
P: 103
How to show this sum covereges

Quote Quote by A. Bahat View Post
Alternatively, one could note that Ʃ1/n4 and Ʃ1/n6 both converge, so Ʃ(1/n4-1/n6) converges (for good measure, it's equal to Ʃ1/n4 - Ʃ1/n6 = π4/90 - π6/945).
Why does Ʃ1/n4 not diverges? I have BS in biology, now I working with probability, only can troubleshoot math with you guys. Thanks
A. Bahat
Apr15-12, 08:50 PM
P: 150
A series of the form Ʃ1/np converges if and only if p>1. There are several ways to prove this, the most common of which is probably the integral test.
TylerH
Apr15-12, 09:27 PM
P: 737
A more general way to prove it converges is to use the theorem that if the infinite sum of f(n) converges and g(n) <= f(n) for all n, then g(n) converges.

You can use the theorem with 1/n^2, which converges. All you have to do is show that 1/n^2 > 1/n^4 - 1/n^6 for all n.
DonAntonio
Apr15-12, 09:35 PM
P: 606
Quote Quote by TylerH View Post
A more general way to prove it converges is to use the theorem that if the infinite sum of f(n) converges and g(n) <= f(n) for all n, then g(n) converges.

*** IF...the series are positive, of course. ***

You can use the theorem with 1/n^2, which converges. All you have to do is show that 1/n^2 > 1/n^4 - 1/n^6 for all n.

Perhaps he/she doesn't know that [itex]\sum_{n=1}^\infty \frac{1}{n^2}[/itex] converges, and if he's going to prove this he might as well prove and use

the more general answer by Bahat.

DonAntonio

Register to reply