Calculating the driving force in a double-acting cylinder using air

by carle
Tags: cylinder, doubleacting, driving, force
Share this thread:
carle
Apr16-12, 02:40 AM
P: 14
Hello!

I'm completely lost trying to derive an equation that'll give me the driving force in a DAC, and I really need some help from you guys.

The purpose of knowing this is to optimize the amount of air that is needed (24 litres are available, pressure up to 8 bar) to drive a radio-controlled car (60 kg), which needs 20 N to keep in linear motion.

The connecting rod from the cylinder goes to a scotch yoke, and I guess this is where I get a bit lost because of the force that varies through the angles from 0 to 2π. And I don't quite know when the ideal gas law comes in the picture (it should be used with 1 atm being the ideal pressure at the cylinder bottom, right?).

Data:

* Car wheel radius: 0,1 m
* Force needed to keep the car in motion: 20 N
* Gearing between wheel and engine: 1:6 (that is, one rev for the wheel is 6 for the engine)
* Efficiency is 10-20%
* 24 litres of air available and the pressure is to be choosen between 1-8 bar
* The volume of the cylinder is between 30-40 cm^3 (also to be decided)

My technical english isn't flawless so if something is unclear I'll try to do a better explanation.

Edit: Sorry, I should've placed this in the subforum.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond

Register to reply