What is the direction of torque for a sin curve?

In summary, the discussion focused on the direction of torque for a sin curve represented by the equation T=sinx. It was stated that torque is positive from 0 to the first maxima and negative from the first maxima to the first minima, with a change in direction from clockwise to anticlockwise. The right hand rule was mentioned as a way to determine the direction of torque. It was also noted that sin(x) is unitless while torque has units of length x force. Finally, the conversation ended with an expression of gratitude for the help provided.
zealous131
Hi, I want to clear my concept about the direction of torque for a sin curve. Assume the torque can be represented by a sin wave (T=sinx, where x is from 0 to 2π and it starts from the origin(0,0) with an amplitude of 1.

My understanding of the torque direction is as follows (assumuing clockwise torqe to be positive):

1- from 0 to the first maxima (0≤T≤1), torque was increasing and its direction was positive.
2- from first maxima, the direciton of the torque becomes anticlockwise until it reashces the first minima. (i.e. for 1≤T≤-1 torque is anti-clockwise)
3- From the first minima until the zero crossing, the direction of the torque becomes clockwise again.i.e. (-1≤T≤1, torque is clockwise again).

Please comment if I am right or wrong and suggest me the true direction sense for this particular case.

Many thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all, sin(x) is unitless, while torque has units of length x force; e.g., meter-Newtons.
Torque is positive; 0 < x < π
Torque is negative; π < x < 2π
The right hand rule determines direction of torque.

Thanks Bob! Its clear now, really appreciate your help!

What is torque direction?

Torque direction is the direction in which a force is applied that causes an object to rotate or twist around a fixed point or axis.

How is torque direction determined?

Torque direction is determined by the direction in which the force is applied relative to the axis of rotation. If the force is applied perpendicular to the axis of rotation, the torque direction will be in the same direction as the force. If the force is applied at an angle to the axis of rotation, the torque direction will be a combination of the force direction and the direction of the axis of rotation.

What is the right-hand rule in relation to torque direction?

The right-hand rule is a method used to determine the direction of torque. It states that if you align your right hand so that your fingers point in the direction of the force and your thumb points in the direction of the axis of rotation, your palm will face the direction of the torque.

What is the difference between clockwise and counterclockwise torque direction?

Clockwise torque direction is when the object rotates in the same direction as the hands of a clock, while counterclockwise torque direction is when the object rotates in the opposite direction of the hands of a clock. This is determined by the direction of the force applied relative to the axis of rotation.

How does torque direction affect the motion of an object?

The direction of torque affects the rotational motion of an object. If the torque direction is in the same direction as the object's rotation, it will speed up the rotation. If the torque direction is opposite to the object's rotation, it will slow down or stop the rotation. If the torque direction is at an angle to the object's rotation, it will cause the object to rotate in a different direction or change the speed of rotation.