Register to reply

Concept of torque direction

by zealous131
Tags: concept, direction, torque
Share this thread:
zealous131
Apr18-12, 03:10 PM
P: 4
Hi, I want to clear my concept about the direction of torque for a sin curve. Assume the torque can be represented by a sin wave (T=sinx, where x is from 0 to 2π and it starts from the origin(0,0) with an amplitude of 1.

My understanding of the torque direction is as follows (assumuing clockwise torqe to be positive):

1- from 0 to the first maxima (0≤T≤1), torque was increasing and its direction was positive.
2- from first maxima, the direciton of the torque becomes anticlockwise until it reashces the first minima. (i.e. for 1≤T≤-1 torque is anti-clockwise)
3- From the first minima until the zero crossing, the direction of the torque becomes clockwise again.i.e. (-1≤T≤1, torque is clockwise again).

Please comment if I am right or wrong and suggest me the true direction sense for this particular case.

Many thanks for your help!
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists discuss quantum pigeonhole principle
First in-situ images of void collapse in explosives
The first supercomputer simulations of 'spin?orbit' forces between neutrons and protons in an atomic nucleus
Bob S
Apr18-12, 04:28 PM
P: 4,663
First of all, sin(x) is unitless, while torque has units of length x force; e.g., meter-Newtons.
Torque is positive; 0 < x < π
Torque is negative; π < x < 2π
The right hand rule determines direction of torque.
zealous131
Apr18-12, 05:04 PM
P: 4
Thanks Bob!! Its clear now, really appreciate your help!

Register to reply