What is the relationship between voltage and the number of charged objects?

• Thread starter htttp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary, electric potential and electric potential energy are location-based concepts that require more than one charge or collection of charges. The potential difference between two points is equal to the work required to move a unit charge between them. When a charged object is placed near the ground, the ground can be used as a reference point for calculating the potential. Changes in distance between the object and ground can result in changes in the object's potential. Additionally, the potential at a point is the sum of induced potentials from all sources, including the earth.
htttp
Hi everyone!
I've been learning about electric potential energy and electric potential and from what I've read, it seems that this is completely location based and it requires more than one charge/collection of charges. This makes sense because the equation for electric force requires two charges and the distance between them. But then I read that a balloon can have 5000 volts. 5000 volts relative to what? How can you calculate the voltage when there is only one charged object. I also heard that the ground was involved in this but wouldn't that mean the voltage increases and decreases depending on its distance from the ground? I'm so confused at this point, can you please respond in great detail?
Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi htttp,

Yes, electric potential is in fact "electric potential difference" and is measured or calculated between tow points. In case of the balloon ( charged sphere), it is calculated between the balloon and a reference which is assumed to be at infinity.

Remember that by definition

[itex]\Delta V_{AB}=W_{AB}/q[/itex]

Which means the potential difference between points A and B is equal to the work required to move a unit charge from B to A.

Ground in electromagnetic problems is not necessarily the "earth". I think you know it.
When a charged object is placed near the ground, any point of the ground can be used as the reference because no work is needed to move a charge from farthest end of the ground ( infinity) to the point .

To answer your last question, when the distance between the object and ground changes, the electric potential of the object changes too. Method of images can be used to calculate the potential when ground is involved.

htttp said:
the equation for electric force requires two charges and the distance between them.

Yes.

htttp said:
wouldn't that mean the voltage increases and decreases depending on its distance from the ground?

You seem to be confusing electric potential (e.g. volts) with electric field strength (having units like volts per metre).
Or maybe you're confusing the potential at the balloon with a potential induced at a specified distance from it. Note that the actual potential at such a point is the sum of induced potentials from all sources, including the earth.

1. How is voltage defined?

Voltage is defined as the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V).

2. What is the formula for calculating voltage?

The formula for calculating voltage is V = IR, where V is voltage in volts, I is current in amperes, and R is resistance in ohms.

3. How do you calculate voltage in a series circuit?

In a series circuit, voltage can be calculated by adding up the individual voltage drops across each component. This means that the total voltage in the circuit is equal to the sum of all the individual voltages.

4. How do you calculate voltage in a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the voltage is the same across all branches and is equal to the voltage of the power source. This means that the voltage in a parallel circuit can be calculated by simply measuring the voltage of the power source.

5. What is the difference between voltage and potential difference?

Voltage and potential difference are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle difference. Voltage refers to the potential difference between two points in an electric field, while potential difference refers to the difference in electric potential between two points in a circuit.